• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

“Stupid” question regarding NXR-710 and TKR 740

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcefd10

So. I’m sure I already know the answer to this, but I’m not sure of all the possible options for the question I’m about to ask.
Our Fire/EMS uses a NXR-710 as the main repeater. It shares a site with 2 other repeaters, LE and BOE. All using the same.

Anyhow, we have a 2nd site in the southern part of the county where a second set of repeaters for Fire/EMSand LE is.
Back before the main site was moved to where it is now, we lacked coverage in the southern area, hence the second site. I had the two LE repeaters linked together with a KTI-3 so that dispatch could hear the deputies and vice versa no matter which of the 2 repeaters the deputy’s radio may currently have selected.
Anyway, when the main site was moved, they discarded the internet connection so that setup went away. The coverage seemed adequate enough to not need the repeaters linked. So my chief asked me the other day if it was possible to have our main nxr-710 linked with the TKR-740 the same as the 2 next-710’s used to be. I’m not sure if this is called simulcast, multicast, or unicast. Or if it’s just a simple IP site setup.

Anyway, a neighboring county that is DMR has all of their traffic coming from 911 broadcasting on both the digital and analog repeater.
If it is possible to link them. Im thinking that the capability of say, keying and talking on the analog repeater and having someone hear you and be able to answer back on the digital channel or vice versa may not be possible.

Sorry to be long winded, but I’m just curious if that setup would work??
Linking an analog and nxdn repeater.
I’m not really trying to accomplish anything in particular yet. Just trying to learn.

jcefd10

They are on the same frequencies but have different pl tones. Well, the nxdn uses RAN, and the analog dpl.
And yes, they will overlap. The TKR is actually now classified as a “backup” or failover repeater. But it can be reached with portables from some remote places where it’d take you using a mobile to hit the main site.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
They are on the same frequencies but have different pl tones. Well, the nxdn uses RAN, and the analog dpl.
And yes, they will overlap. The TKR is actually now classified as a “backup” or failover repeater. But it can be reached with portables from some remote places where it’d take you using a mobile to hit the main site.

It can be done, but it's complex and beyond the hobby website realm.
If you wanted to do this on the same frequency, you'd need to pick NXDN or Analog, not run both. You'd need to set up as simulcast, which is complex and requires coverage plotting and modeling software to get right. It requires additional equipment.
If that is the plan, you would be best served by contacting a radio shop that does this sort of stuff and talking to them.

A simpler approach is to license a new frequency pair and just set up a second channel.

jcefd10

it was just cool the way I had set up the law enforcements repeaters with the kti3 a few years back. I was just kind of tossing ideas around.
We got greater coverage with analog, but needed to upgrade. So I was just kind of thinking outside the box. A little tooo far apparently. Lol.
I’m in the process of setting up a gateway for Zello to kind of accomplish the same thing. I’m currently broadcasting on zello for monitoring purposes only but it would be nice to have the ability to hit the repeater as well if needed.
Thanks for letting me waste your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.