00 Impala LS Installation process Pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
I got a ft-1802m because of its size, and Decided I was going to install in in my 2000 Impala LS. This is the full console version.

Here is what I did:

First off I needed to get power to the unit. With the high amperage drain I decided it would be best to go right off the battery. In this car that is difficult to do so I did the next best thing, Auxiliary battery terminals

DSCN2920.jpg

I routed the cable straight back toward the passenger's door and in thru the same hole as all the window controls and power.

DSCN2921.jpg

Now I needed a ground. This is a little extra work but I took the stereo out and used the ground behind the stereo.

DSCN2924.jpg

DSCN2923.jpg

DSCN2922.jpg

Now I had to take the center console apart so I could get access to the top of the cubby that I wanted to put it in.

DSCN2925.jpg

And remove the cubby totally

DSCN2926.jpg

I took it inside to the basement to work in the A/C... I needed to install the bracket into a tight place so I put the radio on it and tried to guide where the holes should be. Then I took it out and used the double stick tape to drill the holes.

DSCN2929.jpg

DSCN2928.jpg

After that I put in the bracket in... But notice there is a problem... How do you get the radio in and get the screws in the sides.

DSCN2931.jpg

I also drilled some larger holes in the back for power and antenna before I put the radio in.

DSCN2932.jpg

I put the screws in the bracket and taped them so they would stay put, then put the radio in the bracket and guided the screws into the holes.

DSCN2934.jpg

DSCN2935.jpg

DSCN2936.jpg

After that it was all re-assembly, back outside to the car.

DSCN2937.jpg

DSCN2938.jpg

Enjoy!!!

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Forgot to mention, Last step was to vacuum before my wife saw the mess and removed my head.

Instructions to remove the dash and center console were found at North American Impala Owners Association http://www.naioa.com/v2/

Last edited:

KC9LDB

yes uber hamsexy, might try that with the Alero, i kinda have the same setup....
hey, thanks for the install pics too!

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
yes uber hamsexy, might try that with the Alero, i kinda have the same setup....
hey, thanks for the install pics too!

Naw, if it was truly hamsexy he'd have a rusty magmount antenna on the roof and the radio either bolted on the side of the console, or maybe velcroed/ziptied somewhere.

The OP went through a LOT of work to mount just a simple 2 meter radio, I would have wanted to install more after all that work of tearing it all apart:lol:

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
Naw, if it was truly hamsexy he'd have a rusty magmount antenna on the roof and the radio either bolted on the side of the console, or maybe velcroed/ziptied somewhere.

The OP went through a LOT of work to mount just a simple 2 meter radio, I would have wanted to install more after all that work of tearing it all apart:lol:

Nah... I like it simple.

I was more worried about doing it RIGHT.

I could have spliced in a Cig lighter adapter and jammed it in the socket

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I could have spliced in a Cig lighter adapter and jammed it in the socket

That would get you bonus points for a hamsexy install :lol:

I'll admit I have had to cigar-plug a mobile before, but that was something I could not do a real install on and I was only using 5 watts anyway, so it was better than no radio at all.....but not by much.....

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Whats the deal with those wire nuts?

fineshot1

Very nice install & pics - tnx. I have the same model/year Impala and went a different route. I installed radios with remote heads - an Icom IC-900A with all the band units(10m,6m,2m,220,440,23cm) in the trunk and a Icom IC-800H DStar dual band radio. I can not host them to post it here but if any one wants to see them & can pm me with your email address I can send them.

zuzu

Very nice install & pics - tnx. I have the same model/year Impala and went a different route. I installed radios with remote heads - an Icom IC-900A with all the band units(10m,6m,2m,220,440,23cm) in the trunk and a Icom IC-800H DStar dual band radio. I can not host them to post it here but if any one wants to see them & can pm me with your email address I can send them.

http://imageshack.us/

-or-

Organize and upload them to the Wikimedia Commons with a dual-license of Creative Commons and GFDL.

-or-

http://flickr.com/

enine

I was thinking the same about the wire nuts :)

There is a factory grommet on the passenger side right at the front of the floor matt. you can unwrap the tape a little but and force your wires through then tape it back up so you don't have to come in around the doors.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
I wouldn't say factory, but at least you can't see the wires like most numnuts have floating around their vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.