• 0403101204-01.jpg
    0403101204-01.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2,898
  • 0403101204-02.jpg
    0403101204-02.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 2,861

KM4WLV

Not sure if this is a first time install or not, but my suggestions :

1 - I would look at some other type of console/setup. Doesn't look all that great with the dash hacked up.

2 - I'm not sure what band your radio is on (VHF or UHF), but the antennas you have pictured, I'm betting the smaller one is for OnStar (Since its a GM vehicle), and the tall one looks like a glass mount CB antenna. Get a band appropriate antenna and roof mount it. If you are using a CB antenna to transmit on UHF or VHF you are going to FRY your radios tranmitter.

3 - Wire loom. Especially there on the drivers side above the accelerator.

I'm not knocking your install but just wanted to give you a few suggestions from someone who has been doing this for a while.

n8emr

Looks ok, but I would clean up the wire near the gas pedals... Also think you will find those window mount antennas are not going to take public safety class abuse. Bite the bullet and drill the holes for the radios. I would also trim the opening for the radio/lights control a little bit more. WIth gloved hands its going to be tight to get to any of the buttons.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I'm glad it's work in progress, because, since no one else will say it, it doesn't look good.

Put some trim around the cut out, wire loom the loose wires and put holes in the roof (it is a 2001, right?).

N0YFE

I've got a few suggestions

Still a work in progress but throwing it out there for comments

You may want to clean up the cuts and then purchase some black edging to cover the edge. Here's just one source Grommet Ring and Flexible Grommet Protectors.

Pick up some split wire loom and cable ties to run all the wires under the dash and get them out of the way. Again, here just one source but you can also find it at Home Depot, etc.

As for the though the glass antenna, I'd also recommend to go with a thought the roof, aka, NMO style mount. You'll be much happier with the radio

firedispatch

For all who were wondering yes it is my first install (equipment has been in for about a year) it is a VHF fire radio Icom IC_F212 wondering if a low profile antenna will work the hole were all the cuts were made was the tape deck will have to look at redoing it i still need to fit another radio there somewhere

hoser147

Not bad for a first timer, take a little more time and clean it up alittle and it could still be a usable and cleaner install. If you have access to a Dremel tool you could make your radio opening alot more custom fit with or without the trim. The wires do create a safety issue and loom would be great. Antenna's would be far better with the roof install as mentioned above. Good Luck and Live and Learn. But hey if it works for you and your happy what the hey...

firedispatch

Not bad for a first timer, take a little more time and clean it up alittle and it could still be a usable and cleaner install. If you have access to a Dremel tool you could make your radio opening alot more custom fit with or without the trim. The wires do create a safety issue and loom would be great. Antenna's would be far better with the roof install as mentioned above. Good Luck and Live and Learn. But hey if it works for you and your happy what the hey...
Thank you didn't know it was going to be so rough i think im going to loom the wires wonder of just squaring it up a bit might make it look better

tekshogun

nice concept, interesting arrangement. Keep working on it, don'tlet it slide for nine months like I did with my mobile setup. Of course, mine is no where nearly as complicated of an initial setup as yours.

firedawg0069

just wondering what type of front seat you have,bench or bucket and if you have a console. i have a 1989 S-10 blazer with bucket seats and the console was trashed so i removed it and made my own console where i mounted a motorola radio,switch panel,siren control panel and a scanner

firedispatch

just wondering what type of front seat you have,bench or bucket and if you have a console. i have a 1989 S-10 blazer with bucket seats and the console was trashed so i removed it and made my own console where i mounted a motorola radio,switch panel,siren control panel and a scanner

i have bucket seats the concole is the factory one were the radio and siren are was the orignal tape deck i had to modfy so i can hit the buttons and see the display i am looking at taking that out and replacing it with one from galls.com or somewere else because i am going to get an ICOM ham to go with my dept radio

THETINMAN

Just a couple things from my experience- hiding the wires will make you feel 100% better about your setup; I know you already said you are going to fix that, but just my .02. The antennas are super important to me. They make such a difference, I couldn't even believe it. As far as the dash install, I've been holding out on my horn/siren/PA for a while now because I just cant figure where I can put it, and it still be practical, but...
Well, some nice equipment, post some pics as you make improvements! nice to see you taking your time to work on it on your own. I'm a big fan of that! Thats how I've learned from my mistakes!

THETINMAN

You may want to clean up the cuts and then purchase some black edging to cover the edge. Here's just one source Grommet Ring and Flexible Grommet Protectors.
Pick up some split wire loom and cable ties to run all the wires under the dash and get them out of the way. Again, here just one source but you can also find it at Home Depot, etc.
As for the though the glass antenna, I'd also recommend to go with a thought the roof, aka, NMO style mount. You'll be much happier with the radio

Great Idea for cleaning it up- I think this is the similar, or same product- looks like it would work really well if you trimmed that opening to a nice consistant shape, and maybe used a bracket to have it flush with the opening.

Slim C-Strip Fan/Window Molding/Grommet Edging - Black - FrozenCPU.com

firedawg0069

i have bucket seats the concole is the factory one were the radio and siren are was the orignal tape deck i had to modfy so i can hit the buttons and see the display i am looking at taking that out and replacing it with one from galls.com or somewere else because i am going to get an ICOM ham to go with my dept radio

e mail me at firedawg0069@yahoo.com and i will send picures and deails of mine. i cannot get the picures to upload in a post on here

firedispatch

thanks tin man i think that i have decided to go with a diffrent concole now all i need is the money also of anyone knows a good place to run the wires through the firewall (picts would be helpful) they are now going throught the space between the door and the front panel that would be very helpful

firedispatch

Update i have just rerouted the wired through the fire wall (hope to stop the flooding when it rains LOL) no new picts im in the process of bulding a new console for the radios i have added a cobra CB radio still needing a cheap ham and antinnia so if any one knows someone

Squad10

Did you use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the window glass and on-glass antenna's base', otherwise they may not adhere and fall off.

You may have had a liabilty case with your wiring crossing the accelerator pedal, but your vehicle is not a Toyota. Move the wiring away from the pedal. Protect the firewall wiring using rubber grommets and seal it with silicon.

firedispatch

Did you use Isopropyl alcohol to clean the window glass and on-glass antenna's base', otherwise they may not adhere and fall off.

You may have had a liabilty case with your wiring crossing the accelerator pedal, but your vehicle is not a Toyota. Move the wiring away from the pedal. Protect the firewall wiring using rubber grommets and seal it with silicon.

yes i did i even cut the tenting (to make sure that it didn't have any metal in it) the wires near the petal are actually not near i wear a size 20 shoe i cant even touch them from the petal they are acutally mounted right under the plastic of the dash after the new concole is made i plan on running them even higher under the dash so you cant see them and finish looming them also im going to run 2 atannas to the front so i will need to find a way to sheld them from the power cables so i dont get any feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.