06 Impala Stealth install

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5bls

Premium Subscriber
My De-comissioned 2006 Wyoming State Highway Partol Vehicle bought 6/2009

**I will add more pictures from home of the radio decks in the trunk and all the LED's mounted to the rear only of the vehicle** Just dont have them here at work.

The way it looked when it was in service.
cop1.jpg

Now days...
car2.jpg

car1.jpg

car3.jpg

car4.jpg

DSC_0232.jpg

Re did all seats with leather insted of warn cloth
DSC_01161.jpg

Scanner antenna on roof 800mhz 1/4 wave
Vhf/UHF on trunk 1/4 waves
Low band on fender 1/2 wave
Sat radio antenna on roof for Sirius

Radios:
Motorola Astro Spectra UHF IMBE 438-470 70Cm
Motorola Astro Spectra VHF IMBE 140-168 2M
Motorola GM300 Lowband 6M

Again, I have a few more and better pictures at home I will add when I can.

K5BLS
442.925/R NAC293/PL 131.8 Cleveland, Ohio
RadioShack/GRE Digital scanner
Sirius radio on dash

commscanaus

Very nice car and install.

Such a shame those Impala's are front wheel drive, they are quite a nice shape and look the shiz with the dual tailpipes!

Is it a 6 or an 8?

I really wish we had more column shift auto's here- as I would really like a console like that!

Just be warned- post pictures of flashing lights and sirens on here and you better be prepared for the pointed questions!

Commscanaus.

canav844

Leather and "wood trim" in the retired cop car, that's a good work/find! Props for a good clean install.

Above the stereo, there's one bracket for a cell phone? and one for another radio?

Vermontradio1966

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Impala SS

If that is an Impala SS, rear fender badging shows SS, then it is a V-8. That is one cool looking car. The black antennas totally compliment the black car and the install is as clean as anythng I have ever seen. I have never seen a lowband GM300. I have seen the faceplate's put on a maxtrac 300 lowband, but someone enlighten me here in GM300 lowband radios. Did you do the 6m mod yourself for the GM300 ??
Again, great looking car and nice install. It gives me a few idea on some things I am working on.

mrweather

Very nice and super clean. Good job!

I've never heard of a 1/2 wave low-band antenna before. Loaded quarter waves and ball-mount whips, yes, but not 1/2 wave. What make is it?

I think the SS in the 06 model year used a supercharged V6. The V8 option didn't come until 07 or 08.

GTO_04

Very nice and super clean. Good job!

I've never heard of a 1/2 wave low-band antenna before. Loaded quarter waves and ball-mount whips, yes, but not 1/2 wave. What make is it?

I think the SS in the 06 model year used a supercharged V6. The V8 option didn't come until 07 or 08.

The 06 Impala SS engine was the 5.3L V8. The supercharged 3.8L V6 was never used in the latest Impala body.

I am suprised that a law enforcement agency would buy the SS version for fleet use due to the added expense! Lucky troopers!

GTO_04

Is that a justice bar? Do you have any problems with cup spillage onto that lower radio?
That is a 911EP Galaxy bar. I would have to say that car use to be driven by brass (higher up). I see them everyday here. The troopers that work the road more often have the push bumpers installed on the front. Also as far as the radios in the console, I doubt they would leave those in there. Also WHP uses Kenwood radios.

Last edited:

ResQguy

Meh
Premium Subscriber
I'm going to go with its a plain jane 9C1 with self-installed SS emblems and seats. I would go one way or the other, either lose the spotlight and steel wheels; or ditch the SS emblems.

n2hbx

Premium Subscriber

Such a shame those Impala's are front wheel drive, they are quite a nice shape and look the shiz with the dual tailpipes!

Is it a 6 or an 8?

I really wish we had more column shift auto's here- as I would really like a console like that!

Just be warned- post pictures of flashing lights and sirens on here and you better be prepared for the pointed questions!

Commscanaus.
Pix of flashing lights and sirens? Just posting pics of former LEO VEHICLES is enough to get the most rabid "investigators" out of the woodwork!!

Excellent work on the install. Car looks great!

Larry

APTN

Spotlight

I'm going to go with its a plain jane 9C1 with self-installed SS emblems and seats. I would go one way or the other, either lose the spotlight and steel wheels; or ditch the SS emblems.

Do what you want, but I'd keep the spotlight. I've driven through rural areas where extra lighting is beneficial.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Do what you want, but I'd keep the spotlight. I've driven through rural areas where extra lighting is beneficial.

They are also great to get ignorant driver to turn off their brights!! Very useful on divided hiways where just flashing brights does not work.

K.

SCPD

QRT

Is it a 6 or an 8?

Commscanaus.

Why is it a shame that the car is front wheel drive? They perform well in snow and ice, something that occurs in Ohio. I live in snow country and consider a front wheel drive about 80% as effective as four wheel drives in snow.

The shiz?!! I thought I had heard most of the Brit/Aussie expressions, but that is a new one to me.

kayn, pointing a spotlight at a drive with bright lights on is a bad idea so I hope you are joking. Drivers tend to focus on lights and drive toward them. That is why many law enforcement agencies have changed the manner they display their lights after making traffic stops.

I once turned on my off road lights on a busy two lane road when a big rig approached me from the front and did not turn his brights down. I was being blinded. When I lit him up he had to take his arm and block my lights as he came within a few car lengths. I did some serious thinking about what I had done and never did it again. That was some 32 years ago and I'm in my late 50's. I created a greater risk for both of us than the original brights were causing. The stupid things you do when you are young!

k5bls, what model scanners are those on the bottom. It looks like a GRE and a BC-780 or similar. The 1/2 wave low band, it must be at least 9 feet in length. It must really sing while the car is moving.

commscanaus

Why is it a shame that the car is front wheel drive? They perform well in snow and ice, something that occurs in Ohio. I live in snow country and consider a front wheel drive about 80% as effective as four wheel drives in snow.

The shiz?!! I thought I had heard most of the Brit/Aussie expressions, but that is a new one to me.

The front wheel drive thing is a bit of personal taste and applies to cars with plenty of power such as turbo cars or V8's. Don't like torque steeering under acceleration, although newer cars have probably addressed this. Don't have to deal with ice or snow (except Alpine areas) so that is not an issue, but I can see where it could be of benefit in such conditions.

Yes...the shiz, it's derived from saying "The Chevy Impala, that's the sh*t!!!"
It gets used to say that something is awesome or cool etc...
Probably gets used more by the locals of Upper Didyabringyagrogalong :)

The Impala still gets my vote...especially the LEO version!

Commscanaus

Status
Not open for further replies.