• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

'06 VW GTI Antenna Mounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc7eph

I'm taking the plunge and mounting up my V7-A in to my car, but I'm having quite the dilemma deciding on where and how to mount the antenna.

Drilling a hole in the roof for an NMO would be ideal, but is totally out of the question. I'm allowing myself no holes where they would be visible or would let water in.

I'm thinking on a lip mount on the hatch door, but I'm not sure that I have the clearance to get one in there. Also, I have a little mag mount gps antenna mounted to the roof with the coax going through the hatch seal, and the coax hasn't fared so well with repeated opening and closings of the hatch door.

Kind of up in the air here, what are some success stories people have had mounting antennas to GTIs, or to hatchbacks in general?

Pictures of installations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

k0tbt

An NMO mount, when properly installed, is waterproof, and a "proper" installation is quite easy. When the antenna is removed, the mount is hardly noticeable, and the mount still remains waterproof.

Karl

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I'm taking the plunge and mounting up my V7-A in to my car, but I'm having quite the dilemma deciding on where and how to mount the antenna.
As a former owner of an '05 GTI, I understand your issues.

Many will tell you that the way to mobile antenna happiness is an NMO mount in the roof. I won't disagree. I have 10 of them in the roof my Ford Expedition. There are those who will tell you that a properly installed NMO mount won't detract from the car's resale value that much and they may be right. They say just put a cap on the mount or screw on a cell-phone antenn and nobody will care.

Your challenge is that you have limited roof space because of the sliding "moon roof" and because of the amplified AM-FM antenna at the back of the roof. Put your VHF antenna closer than a quarter wavelength from the stock antenna and you may have problems with both radios.

My solution was a Diamond K412 mount on the hatchback. The K412 has several adjustments on different axes of adjustment. I was able to position and adjust the mount so that the antenna was relatively vertical, but still didn't hit the car when I opened the hatch (the hatch opens through more than 90 degrees, so what's vertical when the hatch is closed will be horizontal when the hatch is open). The K412 comes with a length of RG-316 teflon coax, so it's pretty tough stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.