1/2 or 1/4 wave gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to make a small dipole for 440 mhz to hit a repeater 40mi away{win system}
my question is silly but would a 1/2 wave wire dipole give more gain?
this will be a QRP station or no more than 5w max.
and it will be a sloper antenna, I just wanted simple.
any feed back?
DE
kg6wxe
DW

n5ims

A 1/4 wave vertical whip is basically a 1/2 wave dipole with the counterpoise (where the coax shield would connect) being the car's body instead of a wire. They, but defination, would have no gain since it's the reference for the dBD gain factor (decibles over dipole). 1/4 wave at 440 is about 6" (the size of each leg of the 1/2 wave dipole). Not sure why you'd say "it would be a sloper antenna" since that would make it only about a foot long (not much slope needed).

For some gain, you may want to look at a J-Pole (J POLE ANTENNA DESIGN CALCULATOR by K4ABT) - pretty easy to make and can be wire (flexible, portable) or copper pipe (sturdy).

k9rzz

5 watts or less to reach 40 miles on 440? Full quieting? Hope you're on a hill. Think 'yagi' not 'simple'. This is 440 mhz after all, everything is small!

k9rzz

When you're thinking about an antenna to cover 40 miles, think "capture area". A 1/4 wave antenna on 440 is ~ 6 inches long. A 5/8 wave is ~ 16 inches long (still hardly 'big'). A J-Pole is ~ 21 inches long. Which do you think will work better? The J-Pole of course. 40 miles is still 40 miles no matter what band you're on and 5 watts ain't that much power when you come down to it. So, unless they've got a receive site in your neighborhood, you might consider something a little bigger than 6 inches if you want reliability. :^]

Last edited:
ok no gain no pain

Thank you guys, I just had a feather up the .;p[..; to try it.
I can hit the machine on duckie @ 5w and trip it @ 1w.
Here is SoCal. the hills are high enough to almost any where.
I was just thinking to hook up the HT to an outside ant.
but I see a small problem now. thank again
DW
kg6wxe

AK4GA

If you do decide to make a dipole just remember that it must be vertical for it to work on the repeater.

For FM you would be better off making a ground-plane antenna out of welding rod and a PL259 jack.

What you really need is a directional antenna. You can make one out of pvc and coat hangers.

Token

A 1/4 wave vertical whip is basically a 1/2 wave dipole with the counterpoise (where the coax shield would connect) being the car's body instead of a wire. They, but defination, would have no gain since it's the reference for the dBD gain factor (decibles over dipole). 1/4 wave at 440 is about 6" (the size of each leg of the 1/2 wave dipole). Not sure why you'd say "it would be a sloper antenna" since that would make it only about a foot long (not much slope needed).

For some gain, you may want to look at a J-Pole (J POLE ANTENNA DESIGN CALCULATOR by K4ABT) - pretty easy to make and can be wire (flexible, portable) or copper pipe (sturdy).

A little semantics here. Not aimed at your comment specifically n5ims, but rather a statement to help newer users understand a slightly convoluted principal. I understand what you mean by a 1/4 wave having no gain. You mean it does not have more gain than a 1/2 wave dipole and are quite correct. But so a new user might understand, _everything_ has quantifiable gain.

A 1/4 wave vertical does have gain (as I said above so does everything, even if it is negative gain compared to something specifically), but it does not have gain over (more than) a half wave dipole. So on a scale of dBd (gain referenced to a dipole) a 1/4 wave vertical has about -3 dBd (that is negative 3 dBd, less than one). On a scale of dBi (gain referenced to an isotropic) it is about -0.85 dBi. Still less gain than an isotropic, but a better "number", less negative.

Gain in dB is not an "absolute", but always a "relative" (as is anything represented in just "dB", while dBi, dBd, dBm, dBV, etc are absolutes because you have given the references in the last letter or last letters). As such even a 3" paperclip on 80 meters has a gain value in dB, it is just a pretty large value negative unless the reference is also pretty inefficient. But understanding the difference between dBd and dBi is important, because some designs and some manufacturers state gain in one reference, and others will state it in another, and others yet might use another "standard", such as gain compared to a 1/4 wave vertical itself.

So, if you see a 1/4 wave vertical mobile antenna advertised as "0 dB gain" this might be right, if they are using another 1/4 wave vertical as their reference. If they are calling it "0 dBi gain" they are stating an impossibility, as would be "0 dBd gain" By the same token a 1/2 wave bottom fed could be said to have "0 dBd", or "+2.15 dBi", or even "+3 dB" if the later is referenced to a 1/4 vertical. Also, some makers actually measure the gain, normally against a half wave dipole, and then state the gain as dBd. Other makers might just model or calculate the value, and calculated are often done vs an isotropic model. Sometimes the vendor does not bother to include the "d" or "i" to tell you the reference.

In other words, "gain" for a given antenna is sometimes an iffy thing. One must keep in mind the specific reference used. One must also have an idea of if it is calculated or measured (measured is almost always less than calculated, but is often more honest). And last, keep in mind that makers like "big" numbers on antenna advertisements and packaging, so don't take any of them at face value without some thought. I have seen more than one antenna package with inflated, or very hard or impossible to explain theoretically, gain claims.

And, we have not even talked about where that antenna might be making that said gain, at what take-off angle. A whole new variable to consider. One that can sometimes make a lower gain antenna more desirable for a specific application.

And to the OP, if you are bringing up the repeater with your handheld on the stock antenna now, from the location you want to install this antenna, it is very likely you will do better with a 1/2 wave vertical dipole, assuming good feedline and a short feed run.

T!

prcguy

A J-pole is a half wave antenna and has the same gain and radiation pattern as a half wave dipole.

In So. Cal we have repeaters on high mountain tops and it's normal to get 50, 75 and over 100mi with nearly full quieting into repeaters from a handheld with stock rubber duckie.
prcguy

LtDoc

If you are doing as well as you are now with a 'duck' antenna, then an outside antenna would probably work even better. Antenna height is also a biggy, whatever antenna you decide on, get it as high as possible/practical. A directional antenna would be even 'more better'!
I think the biggest expense isn't going to be the antenna, but the feed line. Don't be too 'frugal' with that part of it...
- 'Doc

smason

Another thing to consider:
We all talk about "gain".
Someone a while ago was talking about putting a 1/4 wave ground plane on the roof, and several people chimed in with "but it has no gain"
True, but a 1/4 wave antenna on the roof has a huge "gain" over a rubber duck in the shack.
Sometimes just getting some "metal in the air" is more than enough.

prcguy

At the moment I'm in Dallas TX but will be back in my home town of San Pedro this weekend.

Another thing about antenna height and gain....
A friend of mine did a lot of calculations on the effects of antenna height vs distance and came up with a general rule for VHF/UHF radio systems in flat urban areas.

Basically antenna height is more important than the cable loss incurred getting the antenna higher, up to the point of about 8dB cable loss, then the tables turn.

Another way to look at this is if you are using crappy RG-58 coax and you can raise your antenna another 30ft or 100ft or whatever, it will all be benificial until you add soo much coax that the loss gets to about 8dB.

Using LMR-400 will get you a lot more height than using RG-58 before you reach the magic 8 point something dB loss.

If your comparing antennas with slight differences in gain like a Discone and Scantenna then small changes in height can make noticeable improvements.

If your comparing a Discone to a 21ft 10dBD UHF Stationmaster then the Discone will need to be considerably higher before it gets more distance.
prcguy

hey prcguy what part of socal are you in??

WA1ATA

When you're thinking about an antenna to cover 40 miles, think "capture area". A 1/4 wave antenna on 440 is ~ 6 inches long. A 5/8 wave is ~ 16 inches long (still hardly 'big'). A J-Pole is ~ 21 inches long. Which do you think will work better? The J-Pole of course. :^]
I agree with your comment about capture area, but the J-pole is an end fed 1/2 wave antenna with a matching section of about 1/4 wavelength. Only the 1/2 wave antenna radiates/receives.

I do like the J-pole as a nice, easy to build antenna. My recommendation would be to first try with the stock rubby ducky. Then build a cheapo J-pole out of 300 ohm twinlead. If that works well, just put it into a pvc pipe.

If that doesn't work, then build a Yagi. At 440MHz they are very reasonable size.

Last edited:

TennaSky

My Diminutive, Basically Free, Home Built UHF Omni

Ya gotta laugh...

The best UHF vertical I ever built was formed from the center conductor of 9913 which I split and stripped back about 6.5", and the shield was separated into thirds, twisted together and soldered to keep the shape, forming three 120° downward-tilt radials. I then liberally applied liquid electrical tape to seal it from becoming water hose in the rain.

So basically I built a miniature CB 'Starduster' - or 145° center-fed 1/2 wave dipole which turned out to have close to 1:1 swr and was the ONLY antenna which didn't get multipath on the repeater, including my Diamond X-200.
icon10.gif
icon14.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.