1/4 wave mobile whips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerbum

I wanted some permanent mobile antennas for my car. I have ordered two maxrad 1/4 wave whips cut to center frequencies to which I want to monitor. One being 155.535 and the other to 866.900 for p25 digital system.

My question is will this greatly improve my reception pose to mag mounts and will it help with pager interference and the like?

N1BHH

Quarter wave whips work quite well. They are unity gain, they work well for many applications. I use one for UHF which does better than a gain antenna, due to the higher take-off angle. A gain antenna has a compressed pattern, where a quarter wave has more of a donut shaped pattern.

af5rn

scannerbum said:
My question is will this greatly improve my reception pose to mag mounts...
Yes. Noticeably.

...and will it help with pager interference and the like?
Possibly. A narrow-band antenna does help to exclude bleedover and intermod when there is a significant frequency separation. But if they are relatively adjacent frequencies, then it may make no difference, and may even possibly make it worse. When you increase reception, that usually results in even interfering reception being increased. You may have to go with a bandpass filter to make a real difference in interference.

Status
Not open for further replies.