• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1/4 wave stubby Vs 1/4 wave mobile antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening I wanted to know what would have better range on a radio. I wanted to know becasue I use a 1/4 wave stubby and I thought of buying a 1/4 wave mobile antenna instead of the stubby. It is for UHF. Could someone help me out please.

Thank you

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Stubby vs mobile

The 1/4 wave mobile is designed to work with a ground plane. A stubby for a HT is not much more than a tuned(?) dummy load and requires no ground plane. I have seen a quarter wave used on a HT with a piece of wire for the counterpoise or ground plane. Since you are using UHF, there are many HT antennas that will give better performance than a stubby without any additional wire or ground. Whip antenna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia gives a good explanation of the antenna gain.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Good evening I wanted to know what would have better range on a radio. I wanted to know becasue I use a 1/4 wave stubby and I thought of buying a 1/4 wave mobile antenna instead of the stubby. It is for UHF. Could someone help me out please.

Thank you

I like the antennas with the load in the center = Amazon.com: Browning BR-450 UHF Land Mobile Base Antenna: Electronics

However the antenna may not be exact ( I googled and googled ) it gives you an idea.

FF - Medic !!!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Consider an analogy to a camera lens. The larger the aperture of the lens the more light gathering power it has. A physically larger resonant antenna will deliver more signal to the radio. A stubby antenna can be made resonant, but it will not be as efficient. The ground plane is a consideration. On a hand held radio your body and the body of the radio are the ground plane. This is not as effective as a real ground plane. At UHF frequencies it is practical to use 1/2 wave antennas since they are relatively short (say about 12 inches). A half wave antenna does not require a ground plane. It will require an impedance matching coil, but will be quite efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.