• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1/4 wave whip for a base station

Status
Not open for further replies.

lu81fitter

I am thinking of putting a CB up at home just to tinker with and talk to local people in my area. Can I use a 102" whip on an old satellite TV mounting bracket with good results? Do I need a groundplane/counterpoise? Or is there a better solution for a base antenna? I don't want to put up anything very large.

lu81fitter

So if I have a whip that is 108", that will work. Is it possible to use a vertical counterpoise under the antenna instead of groundplane radials? The old dish mount is on the side of the house. Nothing to support radials.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
So if I have a whip that is 108", that will work. Is it possible to use a vertical counterpoise under the antenna instead of groundplane radials? The old dish mount is on the side of the house. Nothing to support radials.

If your whip is 108", then it should be pretty close to resonate on the CB band.

Running a counterpoise wire straight down will make a vertical dipole, and it likely won't be 50Ω. Having it closer to a horizontal position will bring it closer to 50Ω. You may want to run the wire for the ground plane along the eaves.

lu81fitter

I don't want to anchor the groundplane wires with stakes and rope. If I mount the wires to the eaves, it would be in a 90 degree pattern, as the mount is on the side of the house on a corner. Nothing to anchor in the other 2 directions. Are there other options for a vertical of some sort?

prcguy

90 degrees or anything close will work fine. A strip of 3 or 4ft wide chicken wire 18ft long with the whip in the center would work well.
I don't want to anchor the groundplane wires with stakes and rope. If I mount the wires to the eaves, it would be in a 90 degree pattern, as the mount is on the side of the house on a corner. Nothing to anchor in the other 2 directions. Are there other options for a vertical of some sort?

lu81fitter

I live in a nice neighborhood. I don't want to cobble something together with chicken wire or rope. If it can't be done in a somewhat professional manner, then I will move on to other things. This is not a high priority. It's a tinkering project. More or less just something to be fun, yet maybe a learning experience. But if I put the time and effort into doing it, I would like to do it right. It looks like I may have to move on to other things. I thank you gentlemen for your input and your time. If there are other ideas, I would certainly entertain them.
And by the way, no offense to any ideas presented here. They are all valid options. Just not something I'm willing to proceed with. I was here asking people that are more knowledgeable than myself for ideas.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I live in a nice neighborhood. I don't want to cobble something together with chicken wire or rope. If it can't be done in a somewhat professional manner, then I will move on to other things. This is not a high priority. It's a tinkering project. More or less just something to be fun, yet maybe a learning experience. But if I put the time and effort into doing it, I would like to do it right. It looks like I may have to move on to other things. I thank you gentlemen for your input and your time. If there are other ideas, I would certainly entertain them.
And by the way, no offense to any ideas presented here. They are all valid options. Just not something I'm willing to proceed with. I was here asking people that are more knowledgeable than myself for ideas.

I had this antenna in a respectable neighborhood and no one complained about how it appeared. I did get blamed for all the interference!
1642828836268.png

RFI-EMI-GUY

I meant no disrespect to anyone. I just like to keep things somewhat professional. To RFI-EMI-GUY, it says that antenna is about 3.5 m . How long are the radials?

About 108 inches. The vertical is a bit longer due to the mounting bracket. From the ground it does not look too intrusive

K5TUE

DC to Daylight
Premium Subscriber
If you just want to talk locally, and prefer to keep the expense and installation profile to a minimum, then buy a Tram 1499 CB base antenna. They work surprisingly well, out to about 5 miles or so, and they dont need a ground plane.

If you want GOOD performance, a lot more range, and are willing to pay for it, then buy yourself an Anton 99.

Neither of these require a ground plane and can be somewhat stealthy depending on where (and how high) you install them.

arudlang

In trade for some reduced range you could look at NGP (no ground plane) antenna kits, like this one: https://www.amazon.com/FireStik-FG4648-B-No-ground-plane-antenna/dp/B000X3EOPG

It has its counterpoise in the special coax included with it, so no radials are required. They don't have the range of a whip with an actual ground plane but they still work. There are some other options you can Google as well. You can add more coax with a connector but you must use the piece they give you as the first portion of coax connected to the antenna, as it has a measured amount of wire in it connected to the antenna base to give the effect of the ground plane you (and Fiberglass boats and RVs) are lacking.

That's the limit of my knowledge but just googling that term (NGP/no ground plane) in your antenna search will show you more info and more options/brands.

lu81fitter

These options look appealing. Especially the Firestick indoor model. It says it can be used outdoors so I'll probably look in to that. I know it will not be optimal, but it really isn't optimal on a vehicle either. Thank you everyone for your input. Now to find a decent SWR meter and a radio.

I used a 102" whip, mag mount with a 6" spring.
Then got a 4x4 metal jbox and cut approximately 100" conduit for the ground plane.
I did cut it for 10m. Loaded up with 100 watts.
Less than 2 swr.
Give that a try.

DW
So. Cal😎

Status
Not open for further replies.