• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1/4 wave whip for a base station

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traffic_Guy

In trade for some reduced range you could look at NGP (no ground plane) antenna kits, like this one: Amazon.com

It has its counterpoise in the special coax included with it, so no radials are required. They don't have the range of a whip with an actual ground plane but they still work. There are some other options you can Google as well. You can add more coax with a connector but you must use the piece they give you as the first portion of coax connected to the antenna, as it has a measured amount of wire in it connected to the antenna base to give the effect of the ground plane you (and Fiberglass boats and RVs) are lacking.

That's the limit of my knowledge but just googling that term (NGP/no ground plane) in your antenna search will show you more info and more options/brands.

The big problem with the NGP is the coax is limited to 17' apparently. So the antenna has to be right next to you. Same problem im pondering. The Antron 99 looks like the best option.

slowmover

I have a friend that used a 1/4 wave Sirio Boomerang antenna. It worked very well for him local and skip.

Same here. A friend who ran it up on a painters pole mounted in a bucket and on his condos patio.

From nothing to something is the endorsement.

I have one sitting here to try in the same way. Bought as my sons HOA dilemma isn’t much better, so run up to use, bring down afterwards

921B7365-2C2D-4990-A63D-031039EA4437.jpeg
Shipping package is narrow vertical. Am thinking it could come down and I can put in back of pickup topper without much drama if I’m the one who uses it.

Get home, play radio a few days, then take-down (store) till next time I’m home.

I can connect to radio rig in either travel trailer or in my pickup.

Or — while on the road — quickly get something up higher than vehicle-mounted if outsize ears for local seems a good idea.

— To round out what other have said, it’s not a high winds antenna (Llano Estacado user), but is satisfactory to that point.

To the OP: there are some unorthodox uses of unusual antenna choices where willingness to experiment comes across as crucial in the attitude of the reviewer.

Spring being here, fully, good luck!!

Last edited:

slowmover

I am looking in to this idea. I won't have time to assemble all the parts before I go back to work next week, but it will be a work in progress for the coming months. Just one more question.... What is the proper length whip? I've heard 102"... 108".... Wanna do this right the first time.

Tangentially, when at the crossroads above (having received recommendations) I often go to reviews on eham and thereby have been able to take in a wider variety of ideas.

There has oft been that which was accessory to my search, and which changed how I viewed a problem.

Was over there just now looking at telescoping pole info and realized I had forgotten about “drive-on pole mounts” (secured under vehicle tire) as an alternative to a heavy 5-gal bucket (lifting in/out truck bed not a thought to relish).

I’ve plenty of projects which simmer at length, yet no one’s fault but my own that project notes aren’t what they ought to be, ha!

eham reviews a handy starting point for those not familiar.

arudlang

The big problem with the NGP is the coax is limited to 17' apparently. So the antenna has to be right next to you.

I don't think that is true, just the final segment of coax connected to the antenna itself MUST be the special coax that was designed for the antenna (with the counterpoise inside the insulation of the coax). There is nothing wrong with then adding on an extension of traditional coax the rest of the way to the radio.

[Radio] <--- Traditional Coax of whatever length needed ---> [SO239 Barrel Connector] <--- Special NGP Coax that came with the antenna ---> [Antenna]

Should work just fine.

But if you have room and budget for an A99, by all means that is the way to go. It's been a long time since I read the start of this thread, I thought the premise was that you were not able to put up a large prominent antenna.

Status
Not open for further replies.