1-year warranty, who's in charge of ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadWarrior

Hello experts, reading all your posts and messages I understand that most of you order from on-line sources, USASCAN located in Ann Arbor, MI is one of the most popular ones with no walk-in store, regardless of where everybody lives, maybe hundreds or even thousands of miles away from that particular place... so, just in case within a year there is something wrong with the scanner (996T for instance, a brand-new product never tested in real life so far) what you guys do with the scanner, send it back to the place you got it from, in this case WHO pays for the shipping and INSURANCE (cause you must buy insurance for such an expensive product), you, the owner of the scanner and later Uniden gives you the money back or...??? Just curious, very few of you are mentioning local walk-in stores where you have bought the scanner from, so how do you fix the scanner while still within the 1-year warranty???
TIA for your opinions!
Chris in Toronto

Concrete1

RoadWarrior said:
Hello experts, reading all your posts and messages I understand that most of you order from on-line sources, USASCAN located in Ann Arbor, MI is one of the most popular ones with no walk-in store, regardless of where everybody lives, maybe hundreds or even thousands of miles away from that particular place... so, just in case within a year there is something wrong with the scanner (996T for instance, a brand-new product never tested in real life so far) what you guys do with the scanner, send it back to the place you got it from, in this case WHO pays for the shipping and INSURANCE (cause you must buy insurance for such an expensive product), you, the owner of the scanner and later Uniden gives you the money back or...??? Just curious, very few of you are mentioning local walk-in stores where you have bought the scanner from, so how do you fix the scanner while still within the 1-year warranty???
TIA for your opinions!
Chris in Toronto
The 1 year warranty you mention is directly from the Mfgr (Uniden), not from any specific retailer, & Uniden, as with most Mfgrs, does not pay your shipping to get it to them, but does pay the return back to you.
"How" you get it fixed during the 1 year warranty is Clearly explained in writing in the product's written warranty information.
Most retailers have a "D.O.A" exchange period from the first few days, to perhaps the first couple of weeks or so, so if you get a " bad unit" you can usually send it back for another if it is very soon after it was received, but you would need to check with the retailer for how long you have for a "DOA" exchange.

RoadWarrior

Thank you for the reply... I have no experience in buying stuff from far away, especially electronics, just an US$320 radar detector from Billings, Montana BUT Mfgr's plant, Beltronics, is located in my neck of the woods, Mississauga, Ontario and even though RDs are banned in Ontario those people apply the "don't ask, don't tell" policy and fix your detector without asking any personal questions...
So, buyer be aware, if something's wrong with the scanner you have to pay the shipping and insurance in order to get it fixed by Uniden unless you buy it from a walk-in store near you and in Ontario, by law, every store MUST honor a 30-day return/exchange policy...
I wonder why this type of scanners, let's say high-end scanners including 396T and 996T, are not sold in stores like Best Buy or Circuit City, or maybe Wal-Mart??? They sell Uniden phones and maybe other Uniden products but not scanners...
Chris

mancow

Database Admin
They probably don't want to sit on the inventory. They aren't really high volume items like the FRS radios, batteries, computer stuff, TV's, etc.... That was the explanation from the RadioShack guy anyway when I complained that I never see a 96 or 2096 in the store.

RoadWarrior

MacombMonitor said:
Chris:

There is a Uniden dealer in Warren, Michigan that you can visit, and pick up your radio from if you desire.

Public Safety Communications, LLC
http://www.publicsafetycommunications.net/store/commerce.cgi

Gary Watts is an excellent person to do business with!

Bill Crocker

Thank you Bill very much for the info... but this year I won't "touch" Michigan at all... in July I'll head south to Texas via Buffalo, Cleveland and then all the way south and in Sptember to Florida so the east coast... if I'll be lucky to find some OPEN stores who sell (and have in stock when I get there) this 996T, so good for me, if not... ain't the end of the world...
This nowadays is really patriotic (I think) to have a good scanner, digital and analog, in your vehicle, terrorists ARE between us (and I live in Toronto, the epicenter of all news in the past days) and if we can do our part, our duty, in preventing such terrible crimes by intercepting THEIR conversantions (not cellular) and reporting to the proper authorities ( shame on me but only this weekend I found out about a National Security Hot line, an 1-800 phone number for the whole Canada), that's another use of the scanner, besides listening to LEOs, or FDs, etc... and that's not bad at all...
Chris

Last edited:

slicerwizard

RoadWarrior said:
This nowadays is really patriotic (I think) to have a good scanner, digital and analog, in your vehicle, terrorists ARE between us (and I live in Toronto, the epicenter of all news in the past days) and if we can do our part, our duty, in preventing such terrible crimes by intercepting THEIR conversantions

OMG. Are you a crackpot? Spend your spare time on the subway looking for enemies of the state carrying camera phones? Jeebus.

Status
Not open for further replies.