10-12 meters

RadioDXfun

Omni low angle radiator
I have been on 10m SSB phone a few times with 100W when SFI looked as if SFI was high enough to support propagation. I have 2 antennas for that band a EFHW mono band DIY and a Sirio Gain Master. Both work very well and the Gain Master being close to a 5/8 wave dipole seems to win just slightly. I feed these antennas at 10m and 13m off the ground in low noise QTH.

So far I have made a few contacts but nothing spectacular, just S.America and I think a couple into Africa. Spectacular DX does rely more on
very low angle radiation for this band. Most contacts are 5 degrees and lower. To get high performance I suggest getting a vertical very high up.
Many of course use beams on this band as the antennas are much more manageable in size... a well set up beam will open this band a bit earlier.

By raising a vertical antenna very high off the ground you are effectively raising the MUF a little on any path that does open which of course is helpful as we move higher in frequency close to being into VHF 28MHz

When it becomes more regularly open it will be a fun band. I used to use the band in between these 2 before I was a ham of course and spoke around the world quite easily and that was after the last sunspot cycle peak.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Rather than starting an new thread, I figured I'd add this here...

10 is open and hot right now (Oct 07 at 15:00 UTC)

There are plenty of CW beacons to be heard from all over the US. 10 METER BEACON LIST

Looking at the FT8 traffic on 28.074 I'm seeing a lot of European stations. But can't hear any in the SSB portion of the band.

I just made four FM contacts in a row on 29.600 MHz. Had to give up because there were too many FM stations on the frequency causing QRM. A real zoo. Long time since I've done any 10 meter FM :)

Last edited:

freqhopping

The upper HF bands have been great this week. I noticed WWV on 25 today as I was checking out 12m. That was a first for my year as a ham.
I could hear V51MA in Namibia with a huge pileup. I made a few attempts with my mobile hamstick and 100w. I did get a Texas POTA qso on 10 though. I got my first ever Japan qso yesterday, 10m FT8.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
just to elaborate, 10 and 12 were hopping today! I didn't make it up 29.6 but SSB on both was hot! I mean, unlike I've heard it in a year or more...

mancow

Database Admin
Rather than starting an new thread, I figured I'd add this here...

10 is open and hot right now (Oct 07 at 15:00 UTC)

There are plenty of CW beacons to be heard from all over the US. 10 METER BEACON LIST

Looking at the FT8 traffic on 28.074 I'm seeing a lot of European stations. But can't hear any in the SSB portion of the band.

I just made four FM contacts in a row on 29.600 MHz. Had to give up because there were too many FM stations on the frequency causing QRM. A real zoo. Long time since I've done any 10 meter FM :)

I heard several Austrailians Friday evening while mobile on 28.4.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Just as interesting (IMHO) is that 6 Meters is pretty much dead here... and has been for weeks. Very often when 10M opens up, so does 6 (and vice-versa). Not this time...

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
The band conditions during CQ WW Contest this year have been awesome. So nice to see the 10M band open with contesters everywhere from 28.300 to 28.800 plus.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
Thanks Lauri! I did some searching and found 28.400 is the calling frequency in the 28.3-28.5 portion. Band has been quiet for hours, tossed some cq's but not good fishing now.

You'd be surprised. I find, in California, the "peak time" for calling CQ and getting across the nation is between 1400 and 1800 Pacific Time (1700-2100 Eastern)...The mornings are meh and the mid-day is okay, but that time frame in the mid/late afternoon is the sweet spot it seems.

During this last weekend (10/28 to 10/30) I worked a measly 18 stations during CQ Worldwide DX Contest...I wasn't a contester, but I'll give them my numbers when asked! Adds to my log as well ;)

Regards,

-Frank C.

kg6nlw

Railroad & Ham Radio Extrodinare
Premium Subscriber
The band conditions during CQ WW Contest this year have been awesome. So nice to see the 10M band open with contesters everywhere from 28.300 to 28.800 plus.

It's all good until you get Tango Victor Zulu calling recorded CQ across a pileup...

Regards,

-Frank C.