10 meter antenna question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
While I'm not over knowledgeable about antennas, I'm learning more all the time. However, I do have a question....

Given the close proximity of the frequencies to each other, could a CB antenna be used for a 10 meter radio?

I'm considering getting a TYT-9800 to use primarily for 10 meters, and was curious if I could use a CB antenna that's currently not being used, or would have to get a dedicated 10 meter antenna.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

:)

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You can use a CB antenna on 10 meters, you'll just probably have to shorten it a little bit.

k9rzz

Yes, absolutely. You'll have to trim it down to get the SWR acceptable, but CB antennas will perform admirably on 10m. Just how easy is it to 'trim it' depends on which antenna you're trying to modify.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

As a technician you cannot use a TYT-9800 on 10 meters if that is going to be your primary use for it.

I thought technicians had CW and phone privileges from 28.300-28.500 MHz. At least that's what the ARRL website shows. Or did I misread it?

ipfd320

Banned
to the poster--you didnt mention if your gonna use a base or mobile antenna--if its a base the higher the freq the higher the swr,s will be--if you have an swr meter chech the swr,s on the freqs u want to txmitt on--if your into spending some cash i would say to get an antenna tuner for the base antenna--if using mobile a trim job might work but i have no info on that aspect for u--there are alot more knowledegable people on here to help you

NWI_Scanner_Guy

to the poster--you didnt mention if your gonna use a base or mobile antenna--if its a base the higher the freq the higher the swr,s will be--if you have an swr meter chech the swr,s on the freqs u want to txmitt on--if your into spending some cash i would say to get an antenna tuner for the base antenna--if using mobile a trim job might work but i have no info on that aspect for u--there are alot more knowledegable people on here to help you

It's a mobile; mag-mount (if that makes any difference).

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
A quick check to ensure that specific antenna will handle the watts you plan to send through it should be on your list. Without knowing the specific model, any assurances that it would work properly is a guess.

* Why do I have the feeling that this thread may suddenly spin out of control with talk of duty cycle and modes?

k6cpo

One of the first contacts I made on 10 meters was using a CB mag mount antenna stuck on the top of a metal storage shed. The antenna was NOT tuned for 10 meters, but I ran it through a manual tuner. It was a cross-country contact with a ham in Florida.

K7MEM

A CB antenna on 10 meters is usually not a problem as long as you use a tuner between the transceiver and the antenna. I currently use an old CB Vertical Dipole that Radio Shack use to sell. The antenna is not modifiable so I have to use it with a tuner on 10 meters. But it tunes easily and works fine.

For mobile work, I use to use a small 3 foot mag mount whip, that again came from Radio Shack. The whip was adjustable so I didn't need a tuner on 10 Meters. With that antenna, and 5 watts from my HTX-100, I use to work the east coast from Phoenix while I drove home from work.

NWI_Scanner_Guy

thanks

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate all the information / comments / tips / suggestions provided.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Given the close proximity of the frequencies to each other, could a CB antenna be used for a 10 meter radio?

It depends. Many CB antennas can be made to work on 10M by physically shortening the vertical element, without having to use an antenna tuner. If you're using a 5/8-wave ground plane antenna with a non-adjustable matching transformer, tuning it to 10M may not work very well. But most antennas should be modifiable with good results.

prcguy

I had an old but new in box Radio Shack 5/8 wave ground plane and just installed it two weeks ago for 10m. I simply shortened the vertical element about 6-8" and it covers 28.300 to almost 29.000 with a perfect match in the middle and 1.5:1 at the edges. This antenna originally had screws holding the elements at specific lengths and I slit the large base tube with a hacksaw and used a hose clamp for adjusting the length.

Early versions of this antenna had a circuit board transformer in the base that would not handle much over 100w and this one has a coiled wire transformer and so far its survived up to 500w. This thing is working great on local and DX 10m.
prcguy

It depends. Many CB antennas can be made to work on 10M by physically shortening the vertical element, without having to use an antenna tuner. If you're using a 5/8-wave ground plane antenna with a non-adjustable matching transformer, tuning it to 10M may not work very well. But most antennas should be modifiable with good results.

Status
Not open for further replies.