10 meter / cb dual radio ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrequenC

I am just getting my ham ticket and wondered if there is a radio that is capable of receiving and transmitting cb as well as 10 meter. I know that a 10 meter can be converted but I was wondering if in so doing you removed the ability to use 10 meter. Also is this a "legal modification" if all other factors such as power (output remains the same)
Thanks and forgive me if this is not the proper section to post such a question.

Soon to be Tech
Lee

n5ims

To prevent illegal use of ham radios on the CB bands, the FCC prohibits the manufacture and sale of a radio that works on both the 10 and 11 meter bands. That said, there are several old ham radios that will work on both bands (since the 11 meter CB band used to belong to the hams). Several others could be changed to work there using a simple modification or adding one or more crystals.

Please note that it may not be legal to operate them on the CB band due to the FCC rule (FCC: Wireless Services: Citizens Band: Operations) that required all radios to be certified to operate on the CB frequencies. Also note that they will not have the normal CB channels available for selection as normal CB radios would, but you must tune to the channel by frequency instead.

N8IAA

Not saying that we as hams have never done it:roll: But no, there are no LEGAL 10m/CB's sold in the US of A. Whatever you want to do is your own choice.
Larry

FrequenC

Thanks for your advice

Being a newbie to ham radio I want to make sure I operate on the up and up. I have come to realize the distinct difference between the renegade cb operator and the professional way that 2 way communication is approached by those in amateur radio. Not to say that there are not some wonderful CB operators who have been out there for many years and are a credit to the band. I appreciate this forum and the helpful people I have had the pleasure to learn from. I am sure I will be asking many additional questions in the days to come however I will try to first research past topics to avoid being redundant.

Many thanks to all
Me Lee
Waiting for the call sign
Seventy Three's

Last edited:

FrequenC

FCC fines CB shop for selling unautorized radios

Found the answer to my question researching a "nearly new" Connex 4300HP that was offered for sale on E-bay. In YAHOO search results I found a link that led to an FCC document, prosecution of a CB shop for selling "unauthorized receivers" I have also noticed a lot of E-bayer's out there doing the same thing, trying to pass off 10 meter rigs as CB. Some people see the channel 40 display in the ad and assume it is a CB. I have sent "ask the seller questions" about radios that were being listed on E-bay as CB radios and radios that were listed as "40 channel" radios that I knew were 10 meter rigs and every time I did so I never received replies from the seller

http://www.fcc.gov/eb/FieldNotices/2003/DOC-260949A1.html
As I was writing this I got my first response from a seller, the name has been omitted

My most recent question was this on an "ENDING SOON" Mirage 88

Is this a 10 meter rig or CB
Serious buyer
Thanks in advance for your response.

There response was

"It's both I guess you would say only the D band Is configured for CB the others are 10 meter. Peeked and tuned and converted. No scratches on case at all everything is like brand new 2 months old. Getting out of the OTR for local job that I don't need this for.

Thanks and good luck.. Hope this helps"

Thanks guys for your comments

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
OK guys, let's look at this from a reverse perspective. It is perfectly legal once you are properly licensed to modify and use a CB on the 10M ham band. Funny none of you even considered it.

One caveat, be satisfied with QRP operation (you'd be surprised how far 5W can go during a band opening) being those poorly designed and manufactured amplifiers are extremely dirty. Why do you think CBers get busted when the FCC is flooded with neighbor complaints?

Murstech

Sooo.. You didnt know if those radios were illegal??

Yes they are.. Any CB radio that has been modified in any way is illegal. Any CB radio not tuned by a certified licenced technition or under the direct supervision of a technition is illegal.

It is unlawful to sell or offer for sale any 23 channel radio. It is unlawful to even posses such a radio. You destroy your 23 channel radio or face punishment. Unless you are a ham operator.
I would imagine one ham can sell another ham a 23 channel radio but NOT as a CB!

R-32

Sooo.. You didnt know if those radios were illegal??

Yes they are.. Any CB radio that has been modified in any way is illegal. Any CB radio not tuned by a certified licenced technition or under the direct supervision of a technition is illegal.

It is unlawful to sell or offer for sale any 23 channel radio. It is unlawful to even posses such a radio. You destroy your 23 channel radio or face punishment. Unless you are a ham operator.
I would imagine one ham can sell another ham a 23 channel radio but NOT as a CB!

Back it up,

bacause you are full of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.