• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

100% newbie - Can I program frequencies into an HT750 and what is needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgkharrison

Hopefully I got this in the right forum.

We use a set of HT750's (16 channel) and a couple HT1000's at my work location and I recently received an additional HT750 from another building. This new HT750 does not work with any of our frequencies and I'm thinking it is programmed for the other building's frequencies.

Is it possible for me to reprogram this myself or would it have to be sent in to someone? I'm willing to buy a cable to connect it to the computer if I can find one reasonably priced (quick eBay searched showed some that may work in the $20 range) but based on one of the stickies I'm also thinking I need to buy some software to go with this.

Does that sound correct? If so, can anyone tell me which cable I should be purchasing and what software I would need to buy?

My work location has a designated call sign and radio station authorization from the FCC as well as a list of frequencies, I'm hoping I can handle this myself as opposed to sending in the radio to our repair facility because sending in for repair/reprogramming typically takes a few weeks to make it's way back to me and I'd like to get this unit running ASAP.

So, my other question to go along with "what do I need?" is: Is it worth for me to buy these items? If I buy the cable and whatever software is needed, will I be able to reprogram this myself? How difficult would it be to program in some frequencies for different channels and what type of knowledge would I need?

Thanks for any info or help you guys can provide.

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
If it's just one radio and likely a one time need, look for a local Motorola two-way dealer. Probably $50 or less to get it programmed.

I think the software (Professional CPS) is around $250-$300 from Motorola, but someone can probably post the exact price. There will be a learning curve too. And messing something up can be as minor as something not working to as bad as causing serious interference to other licensees.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The software is currently $265 from Motorola. If you are programming one radio just one time, don't spend your money on cables and software. Take it to a shop and have them do it.

As the Thunderknight says, it's not easy to learn how to program as this software is not very user friendly.

It sounds like this is your employer's radio so they should be paying for programming anyway.

SCPD

QRT
Like Thunder and Steve have said, take the radio you want programmed, and a radio with the frequencies you want already in it, to a local shop. The cost of the software and cables needed would pay for programming a dozen radios,

rgkharrison

Thanks everyone. I had a feeling that would be the case but was hoping I could do it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.