100% total Noob here! Hi All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undeader

Premium Subscriber
Hi Everyone.

I just picked up my first scanner ever. I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff and I have no idea where to get started.

I used a bunch of Amex points to pick up a Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT. I know it's more scanner than I need, but I wanted something digital just in case my area upgraded soon.

I'd like to program it myself, but since I'm totally new it's all a bit overwhelming. I'd love any tips, advice or suggestions anyone would care to offer up.

captclint

Mentor
Hi Everyone.

I used a bunch of Amex points to pick up a Uniden Bearcat BCD396XT. I know it's more scanner than I need, but I wanted something digital just in case my area upgraded soon.

I'd like to program it myself, but since I'm totally new it's all a bit overwhelming. I'd love any tips, advice or suggestions anyone would care to offer up.
Welcome to RR. Here's an Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual You have both Orange County conventiional and NYCOMCO (Dutchess, Orange, Ulster Public Safety), EDACS trunking systems in your area, so you will need to understand Trunking Basics , and Uniden_DMA Also, you need to understand Systems and groups. These are the ways to organize your frequencies. You set up a system like a Main Folder on your PC. Then, you can assign one or more groups, which are like subfolders. An example of this would be Orange County(a system), and a group(subfolder) Police, a group for Fire, and EMS, etc into which you put the frequency(s) for the county police, Fire, and EMS. Trunking systems are similar, but have System frequencies, and Talk Groups for various agencies on the system.

There is an easier way to get up to speed, by getting a free program FreeSCAN which will automatically download some or all of the Orange County and NYState Polcie state agencies into the software. In most cases, it will set up the systems, groups, and talk groups automatically. The software sends this info to the scanner.You would need to become a paid subscriber to this site to get the automatic down loads, but this is also very reasonable($7.5 for 3 months). This can save you countless hours of programming and frustration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.