100 vs 200 in mobile environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
The 4 scanner setup is a spectrum force 4 scanner rack with a mini PC 4 AUX AUDIO IN with a 4 port Stridsberg Antenna Multiplexer.
Scanner 1 BCD996P2
Scanner 2 BCD996P2
Scanner 3 BCD536HP
Scanner 4 TRX-2 to be replaced by a SDS200 down the road.

Building a 2 scanner version to run a PC BCD996P2 and a BCD536HP to take to locations hook up to the internet to monitor or test area systems.
Remote control by ANYDESK and PROSCAN

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I found that my SDS100 did not have the volume to overcome the road / wind noise at highway speeds in my Jeep, which was one of the reasons I sold it. Incidentally, the G5 does not have the volume either. I ended up selling the SDS100 and buying an SDS200 to replace it, and I sold the Jeep and now have a F150 which is quieter. The other reasons I sold the SDS100 was I don't like extraneous cables for power, antenna, and ext speaker flopping around in the cabin, and TBH, the SDS100 was unstable when sitting on its base. The fat battery helped, but it still took frightening tumbles.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
When I go on long road trips, I run no less than 2 scanners. With the GRE models (PSR-500) I only have an external antenna connected. I run the scanner on its batteries and audio. I keep a holder of freshly charged batteries available so I can hot swap when needed. It is extra work to also be running a battery charger, but I'd rather do that than have the extra power cable.

Along comes the SDS-100. I ended up with 3 cables connected to it. I have an external amplified speaker which makes listening clearer. In addition to an external antenna, I also run power from a cigarette lighter to USB converter. Since the internal battery was only going to be good for 5 or so hours, and since swapping it is not as easy as the GRE, I decided to just externally power the SDS.

I don't need the display in my face so this works for me. I like having hand-helds because they can be mounted in many places (as well as taken out and held in my hand!). But if you have the space and don't need the portability, I can see the SDS-200 being a better option.

spikestabber

The SDS-100 has an insane amount of picket fencing on analog reception in mobile use, its so bad for weak analog transmissions, have tested a BCD396xt in the exact same env and it fares significantly better for analog, no comparison. With digital there is no such issues SDS-100 excels. Anyone else finding similar? I've used both the tri-band NMO Larson & Austin Spectra, the Spectra fares better but not by much.

doctorbubba010

Learner
Interesting antenna idea. How did the BCD396 fair to the SDS as far as digital. Specifically on P25? I run along the east coast (I-95) weekly.

Ubbe

With digital there is no such issues SDS-100 excels.
The same I/Q detector that works to decode simulcast works in the same way to improve picket fence signal variations and improves the digital decode when that happens.
I would say that the SDS100 didn't had the same sensitivity and that's why you got much more evident picket fencing. It probably happens because there's a strong signal in the frequency band that makes the receiver in the SDS100 to reduce it's gain as in a non interference enviroment both scanner are more or less equal in their sensitivity.

Remember that the SDS100 use a preamplifier and when the signal strenght fall down to where the internal noise figure are it will loose the signal rapidly compared to a "normal" type receiver that gradually falls off more liniar. I notice the same with some analog amateur repeaters that use preamplifiers that it's more of an on off condition at weak signals and non amplified repeaters are instead fading slowly up and down more gradually.

/Ubbe

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The SDS-100 has an insane amount of picket fencing on analog reception in mobile use, its so bad for weak analog transmissions
I've driven 1000+ miles with a 436 and SDS100 connected to the same antenna (a cheap Tram glass mount) monitoring a mix of analog and digital, and can't recall ever running across picket fencing with either one.

The J401 solder joint issue can cause artifacts that sound similar to picket fencing on weak analog signals, but is due to the AGC signal passing through the connector. You'll get the same pulsing effect even when stationary.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's a pulsing in audio level that can be caused by reflections intermittently phase interfering with the original signal while moving, and the receiver AGC failing to track the varying signal level.

In this case I suspect the problem is due to the AGC signal being distorted when passing through J401 due to a bad solder joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.