102 whippers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bird704

So if I put 102 inch whip out as a base antenna and connected it to another 102 inch whipper with a T adapter about 60 feet away, would it get out better? Just better reception? Screw SWR up all to heck? Just curious.

MDScanFan

What frequency(ies) are you trying to use? T junction aside...

The reason to use a displaced set of antennas is to increase gain in a given direction and/or reduce gain in given direction. If done correctly, then across a limited set of frequencies you get a directional pattern (ex North and South) and reduced gain elsewhere (ex East West). Maybe this is what you want or maybe it isn’t. As the frequency is increased the antenna spacing becomes electrically long and you get multiple lobes of higher and lower gain along the horizon. That’s never a good thing and you are better off with a single antenna.

Accordingly, it’s not a good solution for wideband reception and it gets harder to get things right for higher frequencies where the spacing and cable lengths are more critical. It is relatively easy to pull off for HF and maybe VHF Low. The max spacing not to exceed is usually around one wavelength.

Whether this is a good path to take depends on what you are trying to do (frequencies, do you want a more directive pattern, can you just go higher with what you have, etc).

bird704

11 meter. I have one with two radials. Reaches North, South and East 10 to 13 miles. The other would be a little higher but with more trees around, possible 4 radials.

n0nhp

Using all 50 ohm cable (assuming equal lengths of legs and perfect cable and a bunch of other things) Your antenna system would show 25 ohms impedance to the radio.... bad SWR.
Using specific lengths of 90-100 ohm cable, you could make a bi-directional antenna system at broadsides to the antennas.
Co-phasing antenna systems is a project in physics with a side of black magic.

Bruce

bird704

So I did it. Two 102 whippers. One on the North side and one on the South East side of the house. 1.0 SWR. T hook up on the back of the radio and both antennas hooked up like the truckers do but for a base set up. Havnt had it up long enough to see if itll cover more ground or its just a waste of time. In any case I set the new one up higher and was just gonna use that but decided to try em both out since I had the other coax in the house etc ...

WB9YBM

Using all 50 ohm cable (assuming equal lengths of legs and perfect cable and a bunch of other things) Your antenna system would show 25 ohms impedance to the radio.... bad SWR.
Using specific lengths of 90-100 ohm cable, you could make a bi-directional antenna system at broadsides to the antennas.
Co-phasing antenna systems is a project in physics with a side of black magic.

There's a specific length of coax required between the "T" and each antenna (if memory serves, I think it might be called a "phasing harness"). Unfortunately I don't have the formulae memorized to calculate the required length but a search on the Internet will probably give you either the formula you need or mention an antenna reference book that might help.

bird704

I couldnt find anything ... but my coax length is one 50 footer and a 118 footer.

bird704

not sure ... its not something im trying to achieve, it was just an experiment since i had two whips. i will more and likely just use one at a time. my north antenna talks pretty far for being barefoot. the other one shoots east good. i will try em both together and see what it does. doent seem to be a lot of info about how to do a base set up. they are the basic rgx5. one is a mini 8

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
If you ran the calculator, it shows a loss of 33% depending on what brand of RG8X. The calculator doesn't have the Mini 8, but if it is the mini I am familiar with, it would actually be worse for the distance.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
... not to mention that if the phasing between the antennas is off (and it will be unless the correct coax lengths are used) there will likely be out-of-phase loss, up to as much as 180 degree mismatch. Meaning 100% total signal cancellation.

WB9YBM

If you ran the calculator, it shows a loss of 33% depending on what brand of RG8X. The calculator doesn't have the Mini 8, but if it is the mini I am familiar with, it would actually be worse for the distance.

Calculators and charts are okay for a general guess, but nothing beats measuring power than a good quality power meter. For example when I did a test of 50' of RG-8 at 220 MHz, the power lost measured was a lot less than the charts told me it would be (and just to make sure I wouldn't have any squirrely effects cause by a less-than-perfect antenna at the far end, I used a 50-ohm dummy load).

WB9YBM

I couldnt find anything ... but my coax length is one 50 footer and a 118 footer.

Here are a few items I found:

Status
Not open for further replies.