10522 numbers station

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPD1

Interesting... I don't think I've heard of that one before. What local time was that?

DPD1

Ugh... Too early for me. Maybe it will be back though.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
According to a few UDXF postings, it could be New Star Broadcasting, Taiwan...ENIGMA ID is V13 73 Mike

Ken_Allen

That would be V13, but I haven't heard anybody talking about that one.

Are you sure it wasn't the newly found Vietnamese station on 10255?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
With numbers stations, never say never, but a blind search on 10522 on the UDXF yahoo group turned that up (3 messages). Vietnamese is, possibly, the language.

You never know....73 Mike

brandon

Database Admin
It was active again this morning and yep it's on 10522 kHz. To me it sounds like Mandarin Chinese but I'm no language expert. So far I have it tentatively marked as V13 New Star Broadcasting which seems to be the best match based on feedback received.

DPD1

Of course, it could also be part of the game to sound like another country than who it is.

PCJMedia

Number station on 10520khz

I was reading a post about the Chinese number station on 10520khz. They normally use this frequency at 05 and 06UT. They do have other times and frequencies. This is a station I have known for years. Just a few months ago I got a phone call from a reporter who wanted information about this station for a story he was writing. Just after he started looking into this station with various government departments here in Taiwan, the station went from 11430khz to 10520khz. Government departments here in Taiwan (ROC) replied to to his request for information from "there is no such station" to "I can not comment about this" to "you should maybe not write about this". And responses like this is a way to pass information to the Taiwan fishing fleet and it is used for Chinese telegraphy.

Everyday this station is loud. Now I live in Banciao in Taipei Country and a while ago I took a drive to Danshui which is only about 40mins away by car. Danshui is a popular seaside area and beach. But also there is a military base and a transmitter site used from time to time by Radio Taiwan International. When I powered up my Sangean ATS909 it was if i was in the control room. Loud is an understatement. When my friend met the Ministry Of Defense, they said it came from China. But I personally find that odd, because the accent is not of the mainland, but rather Taiwan.

Here is the piece we wrote: Wendell Minnick - Defense News Articles: Chinese Spy Radio?

Now something you may want to keep your ears open for is number stations from the DPRK (North Korea). They are not on a fix schedule, but since tensions have increased in the last few weeks they have popped up from time to time. Reception was very poor so i doubt you could pick them up in North America. But I picked them up on 8335khz, 11300khz only for a few mins, but since I picked it up it has not been back. Around 2004 and 05 the North Koreans also had a number station on FM around 65.8fm which was the part of the band once used in the USSR. If you were in Dandong, Liaoning Province in China you were able to tune in daily from 5 to 515am local time. This station has since gone off the air.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Great info!

Aren't referrers wonderful? :lol: I forge them though.

“It seems like an arcane practice, but espionage tradecraft also loves the tried and true,” said Richard Bitzinger, a former U.S. intelligence analyst. “Agents still use dead drops, microdots, etc. Shortwave radios are easy to come by and operate, and when all the really sophisticated means of communication fail, this is probably a good fallback.”

Fallback? It's probably the first method of dissemination! :lol: (For field agents) I mean the Internet would be a little too risky despite the great ENC capabilities, etc. This method is a tried and true method, is simple and effective. Analogous to a terrorist's methods or UBL's ancient methods of passing info among his ranks.

I'm warfare it's the unconventional that stands above the rest. And spy numbers stations are part of a silent warrior's tools.

The book Inside Delta Force shares some of this stuff. :D

Last edited:

Ken_Allen

I was reading a post about the Chinese number station on 10520khz. They normally use this frequency at 05 and 06UT. They do have other times and frequencies. This is a station I have known for years. Just a few months ago I got a phone call from a reporter who wanted information about this station for a story he was writing. Just after he started looking into this station with various government departments here in Taiwan, the station went from 11430khz to 10520khz. Government departments here in Taiwan (ROC) replied to to his request for information from "there is no such station" to "I can not comment about this" to "you should maybe not write about this". And responses like this is a way to pass information to the Taiwan fishing fleet and it is used for Chinese telegraphy.

Everyday this station is loud. Now I live in Banciao in Taipei Country and a while ago I took a drive to Danshui which is only about 40mins away by car. Danshui is a popular seaside area and beach. But also there is a military base and a transmitter site used from time to time by Radio Taiwan International. When I powered up my Sangean ATS909 it was if i was in the control room. Loud is an understatement. When my friend met the Ministry Of Defense, they said it came from China. But I personally find that odd, because the accent is not of the mainland, but rather Taiwan.

Here is the piece we wrote: Wendell Minnick - Defense News Articles: Chinese Spy Radio?

Now something you may want to keep your ears open for is number stations from the DPRK (North Korea). They are not on a fix schedule, but since tensions have increased in the last few weeks they have popped up from time to time. Reception was very poor so i doubt you could pick them up in North America. But I picked them up on 8335khz, 11300khz only for a few mins, but since I picked it up it has not been back. Around 2004 and 05 the North Koreans also had a number station on FM around 65.8fm which was the part of the band once used in the USSR. If you were in Dandong, Liaoning Province in China you were able to tune in daily from 5 to 515am local time. This station has since gone off the air.

Can I have the times and days on which you picked up 8335 and 11300

Token

10522 Numbers station

Brandon, the station in your mp3 is ideed V13, New Star. The lead in music is a dead give-away.

This station is on 10522 USB + carrier almost every morning at 1200 UTC and 1300 UTC. The transmissions normally last about 30 minutes each.

As I said, the station broadcast USB + Carrier. So you can receive it in AM mode, but USB will probably work best formost.

T!
Mohave Desert, California, USA

Ken_Allen

Sorry I know those two. But the only one I have the times for is 10520, which can be heard at 0500utc, 0600utc. If you give me a few days, I know someone that would know.

That's V13, it's rounded off on that website. 10522. New Star.

PCJMedia

I find it odd when here and other places I see people mention it's on USB. I have never used USB to listen to it. When I last tried on USB it sounded awful.

Token

I find it odd when here and other places I see people mention it's on USB. I have never used USB to listen to it. When I last tried on USB it sounded awful.

It is transmitted H3E/U, meaning USB with full carrier, Or AM with suppressed lower sideband if you prefer, and can be heard using either USB or AM. Here locally and most places I have tried it comes in better in USB than in AM.

T!

Status
Not open for further replies.