106 motorboating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC0CSE

How can I improve on the p25 what's called the motorboating?....in there an upgrade Im not aware of? thanks
on the Kansas City P25 system 800meg

PRO106

N8IAA

How can I improve on the p25 what's called the motorboating?....in there an upgrade Im not aware of? thanks
on the Kansas City P25 system 800meg

PRO106
I'm pretty sure what you are hearing on the 106 is not 'motorboating', but that the scanner is parked on a CC. You may want to check the database here and make sure you have the correct CC's in. It is showing four that are updated. You haven't mentioned how the radio is programmed, by hand, or with software. You should have it programmed as P-25 Auto.
HTH,
Larry

KC0CSE

I'm pretty sure what you are hearing on the 106 is not 'motorboating', but that the scanner is parked on a CC. You may want to check the database here and make sure you have the correct CC's in. It is showing four that are updated. You haven't mentioned how the radio is programmed, by hand, or with software. You should have it programmed as P-25 Auto.
HTH,
Larry

it's in the wildcard mode..P25 auto...with the 4 CC

KC0CSE

What are you calling motorboating? Thats a new one on me.

Hard to explain ....full bar's.... sometimes what I call a warble for the lack of a explanation on the audio ...have the correct CC channels....in the wildcard mode...auto...LMR 400 coax discone antennna...seems to be better audio with the RS center loaded telescoping antenna 20-006 though...

N8IAA

Hard to explain ....full bar's.... sometimes what I call a warble for the lack of a explanation on the audio ...have the correct CC channels....in the wildcard mode...auto...LMR 400 coax discone antennna...seems to be better audio with the RS center loaded telescoping antenna 20-006 though...

On the TG's you are hearing the warble, do you hear audio at the same time, or does it sound like the control channel? It could be the multipath of simulcast signals that causes that. Also, your outdoor antenna is hearing to much signal and overloading the scanner. The reason the RS antenna seems to work better, is that it attenuates the signal. You might try using the attenuator that comes on the scanner when using the outdoor antenna. Another possibility is that there may encrypted channels on the system (from the wildcard) being heard.
HTH,
Larry

KC0CSE

On the TG's you are hearing the warble, do you hear audio at the same time, or does it sound like the control channel? It could be the multipath of simulcast signals that causes that. Also, your outdoor antenna is hearing to much signal and overloading the scanner. The reason the RS antenna seems to work better, is that it attenuates the signal. You might try using the attenuator that comes on the scanner when using the outdoor antenna. Another possibility is that there may encrypted channels on the system (from the wildcard) being heard.
HTH,
Larry

you know I think you hit on it....might be overloading the unit...I am within or somewhat outside of the city...and get full bar's on every talk group...the one that sounds the worst is the one closest to me at times...Im in the north zone patrol dispatch area and when I use the outside antenna it's at it worst at times.....when I use the RS it does work better....I should of thought of that....digital is throwing me off my game...thanks..... Ok can I press ATT when in the Global mode when scanning and see if that helps the audio with the digital signals? somewhere in the manual I think I saw this...thanks Mike

Last edited:

N1BHH

You may be near a cell site and that could be the cause of your troubles. It can sometimes sound like that when you are too close. Try enabling the attenuator as that has the capability of filtering out such problems.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Just my 2 cents but it could MDT mobile data terminals also? Is it always the same talk group do you hear any regular traffic on a different talk group. Just a thought you are scanning wild cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.