Not open for further replies.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
CW Beacon "D" at 2210 Ukraine, there are others in
background "K" and "P" I cpy which is Russian in
Kaliningrad...73,s Marcy

majoco

Stirrer
Another great catch, Marcy, you must have been looking for them, not the sort of thing you just stumble upon. Gooogle for 'Single Letter Beacons' and there's a list of all of them - some of them notionally on the same frequency but you can separate them with a good narrow filter or if you have a good ear you can separate the tones - I sometimes hear the eastern coast beacons.

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
There is a few on that same freq. "D" Odessa "P" Kaliningrad"
"C" Moscow "F" Vladivostok" ...73,s Marcy

Marcy57

Premium Subscriber
I would like to get cpy "F" Vladivostok and "M" Magadan
but I can never hear them ...maybe you can Martin???
73,s Marcy

majoco

Stirrer
First thing in the morning, say 0600 local, looks like being the best time for me for Vladivostock, almost a north-south path. I guess your reception is via the pole although 2210z puts you both in broad daylight - or was that 2210 local, that would be most likely for the western stations.

majoco

Stirrer
All I received this evening at 2000local/0800z on 10872 was "K" Kamchatsky peaking at about 1uV on my HP3586A - he was there on 7039 too- I'll set my alarm for 05dark and see what I get then.

majoco

Stirrer
04dark30 - I was awake so I gave it a try - 'K Kamamchatsky' was still booming in - but there but very weak, needed the 100Hz filter, was D - Sevastopol which is a pretty good catch, he's way over in the Crimea - gone at 0700 local 1900z. I had a feeling that there was someone under "K" but too weak to separate. No sign of F or M. Pretty tricky tuning the 100Hz filter even though I'm tuning in 10Hz steps.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Not a current catch, but a couple of years ago in the winter months here I was able to hear the "R" and "S" beacons in .... of all places... the AM broadcast band! They were very weak at about 0730z in January or Feb when I was driving to the airport. I like to listen to AM broadcast in my car when driving to the airport well before sunrise looking for "DX" stations west of the Mississippi (and well west of me on the East Coast). I was able to hear "R" and "S" under one (or might have been two) Canadian broadcast stations in Montreal. One was all in French, the other English. At the time I thought they were standard time broadcast stations.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Single Letter HF Beacons (SLHFB) are also covered in the UDXF reflector. You want to talk with folks that have been chasing them awhile, that's where to put your questions and reports

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.