10m FM Repeater Activity

spongella

Premium Subscriber
The past few weeks 10m has been open to Europe almost daily, and 29.620 FM has been active with DX stations working the USA via the KQ2H repeater. From an Internet search it appears this repeater is in Wurtsboro, NY with a PL tone of 146.3. Has anyone been successful in making DX contacts on this repeater?
This repeater seems to be the only active one at my QTH. Was wondering if anyone has been using other 10m repeaters with success. Tnx and 73's.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
The KQ2H repeater is cross-banded to 6M, 2M, and 70cm in addition to 10M. Not all cross-band links are active all the time, but if you're in NJ you might want to try the other band inputs as well. As for other 10M repeaters, I haven't tried yet but given the current openings on 10M a search of the FM repeater segments on 10 should be productive.

I am glad to see some people are excited about 10 metre repeaters-- I lost all interest in them long long ago. It didn't take much for me to see the lack of utility in what is basically a high frequency band for use by repeaters.

Maybe, just maybe, when there is no skip a repeater can be useful for extending the radio horizons of miserable low power stations- but 10 is hardly a band that lends itself well to portable HT's or even mobile operations (I cite the antennas for one.)

And then once the band 'opens' all hell breaks loose (aka CB .)
I think in the years I have tried to break thru the bedlam on these ten metre machines I have made only a couple very sketchy contacts- always broken up by QRM. It takes a stronger constitution than mine to even listen to them, let alone try to work DX on one.
But----
Simplex on 29-Six, or the other simplex FM channels is another story. Just last month I answered a KH6 calling "QRZ" on 29.60. We then switch down to 29.580 and had a pleasant chat.
But I repeat, that's simplex.

-----------And don't over look 29.000 AM simplex as well.
Surprises await there.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

OK, so I will applaud you guys with the intestinal fortitude to brave those 10 metre repeaters.
But I just can do the same thing and keep my sanity on simplex. For after all, with a modest station, 10 metre skip is 10 metre skip - no repeaters are necessary.

Lauri

7561b.jpg
".......for goodness sake Lauri-- send faster !!"

Last edited:

tweiss3

Is it time for Coffee?
Premium Subscriber
I have yet to reach a 10m repeater. They are so few and far between, if they are even on the air still.

I did hear a good bit of 10m FM simplex this weekend while mobile. Most were claiming 300-500W output, while I was just 10W mobile, so I ever got back to anyone, but it was fun trying.

hamstang

Premium Subscriber
I have yet to reach a 10m repeater. They are so few and far between, if they are even on the air still.

I did hear a good bit of 10m FM simplex this weekend while mobile. Most were claiming 300-500W output, while I was just 10W mobile, so I ever got back to anyone, but it was fun trying.
Do you use the proper offset frequency and CTCSS tone for repeaters you're trying to reach?

bill4long

When solar cycle 25 gets ripping, you should be able to talk to Japan on 5 watts on 10 meters FM with a mobile antenna. Hang in there.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Never been a fan of 10M repeaters.

I still remember my first 10 Meter FM contact back in the early 80's. I was impressed because it was with a mobile station in England.