11.173 USB????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Anyone else catch this message at 1300? I know it is normally 11.175, but for whatever reason it wasn't. I tried 3 of my radios, and they were all 11.173. Anyone know why??? Mike

SCPD

QRT
Anyone else catch this message at 1300? I know it is normally 11.175, but for whatever reason it wasn't. I tried 3 of my radios, and they were all 11.173. Anyone know why??? Mike

Maybe the calling station was a bit off freq.

Haley

I kind of wondered that, does that happen often? Not really using any high dollar radios. If it was one of them , I just would have assumed it was out of calibration. But not 3. I caught some more around 1330-1340 and they were right at my cutoff for 11.173-74. Mike

ridgescan

Hey Mike-yeah I hear it at least once a week..always the AC, never base. Then, provided Base has actually caught AC attempting a call off-frequency, they'll let 'em know-but often times they go unanswered when off frequency.

Haley

Ridgescan, thanks for that info! Was a little shocked it was that far off. I wonder how many calls I have missed by not tuning a bit off freq. I will check more often now though for sure! Mike

allenmarks

Premium Subscriber
Normally -----

Sometimes the operator is on lower sideband (LSB) instead of normal upper sideband (USB). That could account for the difference in frequency.

OR......they could have bumped the dial.......

Either way, most likely operator error.

autovon

Ø
There isn't much training for many of the folks onboard the aircraft on HF radio operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.