11.253 USB British VOLMET??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haley

Anyone else hearing what sounds like British VOLMET (female, British accent) on 11.253 USB? It's 9-8-18, been hearing it steady from 1400utc-1900utc (as I type) I heard it several years ago also. Mike

majoco

Stirrer
That's the RAF Volmet - various transmitters around Europe at various times but the one I get best is Northolt which is just north of London Heathrow - here's my list of all the RAF stations they give Met repports for - quite extensive.....

Attachments

• RAF Volmet Areas.txt
    719 bytes · Views: 101

Haley

That's the RAF Volmet - various transmitters around Europe at various times but the one I get best is Northolt which is just north of London Heathrow - here's my list of all the RAF stations they give Met repports for - quite extensive.....

WOW! Thanks for the list and help----I heard it probably 5 years ago also. I am just using Tecsun 880 with a long wire strung out in my yard. I should have said I am in the middle of Iowa. Thank you very much for that list, Mike

ridgescan

WOW! Thanks for the list and help----I heard it probably 5 years ago also. I am just using Tecsun 880 with a long wire strung out in my yard. I should have said I am in the middle of Iowa. Thank you very much for that list, Mike
That aint no Mike that's a Marty!!! Oh and nice catch from Iowa!

Haley

That aint no Mike that's a Marty!!! Oh and nice catch from Iowa!

Thanks for the info Martin, and Ridgescan for the laugh! On a side note, also about 5 years ago I happened to catch almost the exact same thing, in my same location, but on 11.259 USB, it was a relay of the above. Did anyone ever figure out why/where it was?? Mike

pjxii

Great catch in Iowa!

Haven't tried for it lately but here in Florida I have received RAF VOLMET on 5405 kHz quite well this past winter. Look for Shannon VOLMET on 5505 (also goood here) 8957 and 13264. Never tried those here.
I did hear Auckland VOLMET on 6679 kHz here once so in Iowa you have a better shot.

BTW I notice that some frequencies like 6679, 6676 and 8828 are shared VOLMET frequencies for different locations in roughly the same geographical region (Asia/Oceania). Are they broadcast from the same location or do transmitters switch at different times?

majoco

Stirrer
Here's another list of worldwide frequencies although it may be a bit out of date. You will notice that all the stations in one MWARA 'family' use the same frequencies - in my local case look at Honolulu and Auckland - but you will see for Auckland :

AUCKLAND
6679 H24
8828 H24
13282 H24
H+20, H+50

and for Honolulu

HONOLULU
2863 H24 H+00-05
6679 H24 H+30-35
8828 H24
13282 H24
H+05-10; H+35-40
H+25-30; H+55-60

same frequencies, 6679, 8828 and 13382 but followed by H+20 and H+50 for Auckland and H+25 and H+55 for Honolulu - meaning that every hour plus 20minutes and 50minutes Auckland transmits his reports and at H+25 and H+55 Honolulu transmits his. Because Honolulu has reports for three MWARA families he has three different times.
Hope this helps, maybe as clear as mud!

Attachments

• VOLMET frequencies and times.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 40

Haley

Great catch in Iowa!

Haven't tried for it lately but here in Florida I have received RAF VOLMET on 5405 kHz quite well this past winter. Look for Shannon VOLMET on 5505 (also goood here) 8957 and 13264. Never tried those here.
I did hear Auckland VOLMET on 6679 kHz here once so in Iowa you have a better shot.

BTW I notice that some frequencies like 6679, 6676 and 8828 are shared VOLMET frequencies for different locations in roughly the same geographical region (Asia/Oceania). Are they broadcast from the same location or do transmitters switch at different times?

Thank you for those suggestions , will give them a go at night soon! I am kind of surprised at how well it's coming in ------very good today. Heard several of the cities read off East Midlands,Birmingham, Prestwick ect.
Auckland in Florida is very good! As for the 2nd part of your question , Martin and Ridgescan (among others), are WAY more intelligent than I am on those subjects. Mike

Haley

Here's another list of worldwide frequencies although it may be a bit out of date. You will notice that all the stations in one MWARA 'family' use the same frequencies - in my local case look at Honolulu and Auckland - but you will see for Auckland :

AUCKLAND
6679 H24
8828 H24
13282 H24
H+20, H+50

and for Honolulu

HONOLULU
2863 H24 H+00-05
6679 H24 H+30-35
8828 H24
13282 H24
H+05-10; H+35-40
H+25-30; H+55-60

same frequencies, 6679, 8828 and 13382 but followed by H+20 and H+50 for Auckland and H+25 and H+55 for Honolulu - meaning that every hour plus 20minutes and 50minutes Auckland transmits his reports and at H+25 and H+55 Honolulu transmits his. Because Honolulu has reports for three MWARA families he has three different times.
Hope this helps, maybe as clear as mud!

It helps a lot Martin, thank you for all the help! Your list's give me some new targets. I usually pretty much listen to the GHFS stuff. Time is another hobby of mine, so your explanation of it makes total sense to me. I have always been amazed at how many MWARA freq. there are, and usually grouped in cluster's it seems . I used to listen to them a lot 20 years ago ( much more than I do now) on my old DX392 and DX398 (which still work) .Think I will start putting them in my memories again, forgot how much fun they were to listen too. Thanks again

majoco

Stirrer
If you want a beautifully detailed chart of all the MWARA frequencies and areas google for "hfaero.jpg" - it's a bit out of date but most of it is still pretty good. I did start to update it with Photoshop but I kept getting lost in what I'd done and what I hadn't! Too big to post on here as an attachment - here's what it looks like reduced but loses all the detail....

Last edited:

pjxii

If you want a beautifully detailed chart of all the MWARA frequencies and areas google for "hfaero.jpg" - it's a bit out of date but most of it is still pretty good. I did start to update it with Photoshop but I kept getting lost in what I'd done and what I hadn't! Too big to post on here as an attachment - here's what it looks like reduced but loses all the detail....

Great info, Martin, very clear with the frequencies, and I may have to print that chart and put it on the wall, really good stuff!

GB46

Great catch in Iowa!

Have you heard the Canadian Forces VOLMET from Canadian Forces Base Trenton in Ontario? They use 6754 and 15034, and should be easy to hear in Iowa.

Oops! I didn't realize they were already on the list that Martin had given you!

Last edited:

pjxii

With fewer SW broadcasters on the air I've been getting into hearing live HF aero traffic last winter before the ionosphere took a total dive. Dakar, Senegal would come in pretty good at times last year on 6535 kHz. When the sunspots come back I'm looking forward to making more of a concerted effort to hear more of these utilities. Shortwave is not dead...

majoco

Stirrer
When I lived here....

I had uninterrupted view to the northeast and on the gray line I could easily hear a lot of the lower frequency Volmets - 6604 New York, 5505 Shannon, 5450 West Drayton RAF and as the other end of the gray line went over Europe from about 1800 local time 0600UTC all sorts of stations popped up for a few minutes then gone - very interesting to track. My "antipode" is just west of Madrid, right where Radio Espana International had their transmitters and he gave a tremendous signal, often 20dB over S9. My antenna was a 75foot wire with a 9:1 balun into a homebrew splitter between an NRD 515 and a Winradio G303 - both worked very well. The pic was taken from the top of a TV pole at one end of the wire. Unfortunately I had to sell the house when my wife passed away and now I live in a valley! Still looking for the ideal property.... :)

Last edited:

ridgescan

When I lived here....

I had uninterrupted view to the northeast and on the gray line I could easily hear a lot of the lower frequency Volmets - 6604 New York, 5505 Shannon, 5450 West Drayton RAF and as the other end of the gray line went over Europe from about 1800 local time 0600UTC all sorts of stations popped up for a few minutes then gone - very interesting to track. My "antipode" is just west of Madrid, right where Radio Espana International had their transmitters and he gave a tremendous signal, often 20dB over S9. My antenna was a 75foot wire with a 9:1 balun into a homebrew splitter between an NRD 515 and a Winradio G303 - both worked very well. The pic was taken from the top of a TV pole at one end of the wire. Unfortunately I had to sell the house when my wife passed away and now I live in a valley! Still looking for the ideal property.... :)
Sorry, my buddy Martin:( good to see you have the grand kids though and at the least, we radio pals out here:)

majoco

Stirrer
Thanks for that Ridgy, although it was five years ago now she still haunts me occasionally - in a good way of course! Sometimes I expect her to just walk through the door.....

ridgescan

Thanks for that Ridgy, although it was five years ago now she still haunts me occasionally - in a good way of course! Sometimes I expect her to just walk through the door.....
I get ya Marty-she wants you to be OK:) hope you do find that home up on a hill there-with space for antennas. That'd be my dream as well.

Haley

Just wanted to get back to this thread---got busy at work this week. I wanted to let you guys know thanks for all the help , links, and the maps (Marty, very helpful). I have noticed Mike, Marty, and Ridgescan almost always pop in to help anyone, and I for one really appreciate it. Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.