• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

11 Meter Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got bored and starting thinking about how to implement a CB repeater...

here is my thought on how to implement this...

TX site:
Feq: 27.315
TPO: 4 Watts
Mode: AM
Antenna: Custom Dual 4 Bay Folded Dipole
Filter: Bp: 27.315 Br: 27.965
Coax: Andrew 1 Inch Hardline
Controller: Rack Mount Custom Controller, and Receive Voter
Transmitter: Cutom Built Crystal Controlled 4 Watt AM Transmitter

Rx Site:
Freq: 27.965
Antenna: Custom Dual 2 Bay Folded Dipole
Filter: Bp: 27.965 Br: 27.315
PreAmp: Custom Built Single Freq. Tower Mounted Pre Amp.
Receiver: Custom Built Crystal Controlled AM Receiver
Coax: Andrew 1 inch hardline

Tx/Rx Site Seperation: 1 Mile Minimum
Tx/Rx site Linking: Telco Wireline

Yes I put a lot of thought into it :)

I come up with all these wacky idea's, but never get around to implementing them.

the question has been asked on numerous cb forums over the years, so i finally decided to put some thought into it and come up with a solution.

i posed the question on another forum and the above is the culmination of our brain storming.

if someone takes the idea and runs with it please let me know how it works out and what mods you make to the design.

i also found out the history behind the legendary CB repeater. it apparently was done in the USA in Boston, MA Some 40 years ago and had a 10-15 mile range.

N

N_Jay

Because that is where the ham repeaters are and that is where the guys who have spent time making them work have made them work, and because that is where they are legal.

talkpair

I think the city of Milwaukee might be interested.........(provided you scratch the wireline idea, and make it fiber-optic and IP based)

I hate to be the one to throw a monkey wrench into the wheels of progress here, but how many CB radios nowadays can do offset transmit / receive to operate with this "infrastructure" ?
Might wanna look at the 27.965 frequency before you get those custom cut folded dipoles too....Not a valid CB freq. Once those babies are cut, you can't un-cut them.

I come up with all these wacky idea's, but never get around to implementing them.

Ever considered a gov't job ? :)

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

here is my thought on how to implement this...

TX site:
Feq: 27.315
TPO: 4 Watts
Antenna: Custom Dual 4 Bay Folded Dipole
Filter: Bp: 27.315 Br: 27.965
Coax: Andrew 1 Inch Hardline
Controller: Rack Mount Custom Controller, and Receive Voter
Transmitter: Cutom Built Crystal Controlled 4 Watt AM Transmitter

Rx Site:
Freq: 27.965
Antenna: Custom Dual 2 Bay Folded Dipole
Filter: Bp: 27.965 Br: 27.315
PreAmp: Custom Built Single Freq. Tower Mounted Pre Amp.
Receiver: Custom Built Crystal Controlled AM Receiver
Coax: Andrew 1 inch hardline

Tx/Rx Site Seperation: 1 Mile Minimum
Tx/Rx site Linking: Telco Wireline

Yes I put a lot of thought into it :)

Yeah,you were bored! I'll give you that,lol! :roll:
n9zas

DX949

Banned

Yeah,you were bored! I'll give you that,lol! :roll:
n9zas

Well at least his not boring, lol

mike_gain

I've heard some of the repeaters from south of the border. FM I believe. Back in the late 70's, a local had an 11 M repeater with autopatch. He would call his wife after work, but usually got covered up with skip.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
i posed the question on another forum and the above is the culmination of our brain storming.

A lot of the guys in the repeater builder thread though it was a pretty lame idea, too.

Say... didn't your other handle here get banned?

DX949

Banned
Because that is where the ham repeaters are and that is where the guys who have spent time making them work have made them work, and because that is where they are legal.
Then why didn't you say so in the first place :0)

Some posts can be interpreted as either humorous or insulting
When not sure, always assume humorous
If you only find it insulting.....................................then the CB THread is not for you :0)

knightrider

It's a great idea for honing his skills either in planning, engineering, or implementing. It is illegal in the U.S., but still a good exercise How many here actually have the ability to do any of these, instead of blasting him for looking at something old from a possibly new perspective? If you have it, put it to use in helping out with something. Ridicule is easy, it takes absolutely no effort. Look at me, putting down those who don't think it is a good idea for what ever reason, when I could be doing something difficult, like writing this on paper instead of using the computer... Then, I wouldn't have spell check to help me out. So you don't like it, don't do it. You don't think it will work? Try to find out why, and make it work. If it was to pass along some time when it is too cold to hop on the scooter, and ride a 100 miles or so, then it was a good way to pass a dreary day. Me? I'm sitting here, 36 hours after it SNOWED in Texas, and is now so foggy, you can't see the highway 100' away. Cabin fever maybe, but it's only 38 degrees, so I am NOT going out right now!!! Therefore, you have to decide, is this humorous, is it for real, am I in need of treatment at the V.A. in Waco, Texas, am I bored, or am I just passing time? That should give you about 3 micro-seconds of wasted time trying to figure out what to say, or do...
Knightrider

zz0468

QRT
Banned
... How many here actually have the ability to do any of these, instead of blasting him for looking at something old from a possibly new perspective?

I think it's a fair statement to say that anyone "blasting" him, either here or ESPECIALLY on repeater builder has a great deal of experience building repeaters. And there's nothing "new" in his perspective.

If you have it, put it to use in helping out with something. Ridicule is easy, it takes absolutely no effort.

The thing is, there are multitudes of reasons why it's a bad idea, not just one. Technically, it's close to trivial making the equipment work, functionally, it goes beyond ludicrous. So, it's not so much as ridicule, as it is trying to point out that it's just a really lousy idea.

That should give you about 3 micro-seconds of wasted time trying to figure out what to say, or do...
Knightrider

I don't think it took me quite that long... :p

knightrider

I think it's a fair statement to say that anyone "blasting" him, either here or ESPECIALLY on repeater builder has a great deal of experience building repeaters. And there's nothing "new" in his perspective.

The thing is, there are multitudes of reasons why it's a bad idea, not just one. Technically, it's close to trivial making the equipment work, functionally, it goes beyond ludicrous. So, it's not so much as ridicule, as it is trying to point out that it's just a really lousy idea.

I don't think it took me quite that long... :p

It doesn't make any difference if it is trivial, ludicrous, or a bad idea in your way of thinking, the guy took the initiative to figure it out. Something many would not even try to do. As for the repeater builder forum you are referencing, I am not sure what it is, or which one it is, as there are several builder groups out there. I don't really give a rat's ### about them, as they did not come here, and challenge the fella's efforts. Let him go ahead with his efforts, go back to your tried and true workings, and let the rest of us choose to read his or anyone else's post without the continued bashing of an idea that was posted just to pass his time. I enjoyed it, it didn't make me want to jump up, run out in the cold, and start building one, but it was a good read. There may be someone who has not traveled the entire Earth, attended all schools, and seminars and gained the experiences many of us have, and they found a bit of useful information in there. If one of our 2m appliance operators tuned in to this message, they may have been able to learn a bit about one phase of a higher frequency repeater in that you can use separation instead of GIANT cans to eliminate the interference of the xmiter and rcvr. If not, they might find reason to ask why, and perhaps you and your repeater builders could shine there and peacefully tell the newbie why, unless you wanted to fire away at him too, in an effort to feel much stronger, and be the all powerful Oz. Take a chill pill, get some sleep, and maybe tomorrow his post will disappear. At least, I will. Adios...

prcguy

We had a CB repeater in the LA, CA area in the 1980s and 90s that was quite impressive and world famous. It used 49MHz and GMRS inputs and at times various CB inputs from a remote sites. It sat for awhile at the top of Palos Verdes hill at around 800ft over Los Angeles then moved to the mountains above Malibu then various other locations as the FCC knocked on doors trying to shut it down. At one time it ran as much as 300w, which got it kicked out of one prestigious hilltop neighborhood.

This repeater became an obsession of my good friend Laszlo and nearly consumed him, always trying to improve it or find new locations for the transmitter and remote receive sites. Lots of equipment was donated for the project over the years but its owner spent quite a bit of money on the repeater and site rental. The local FCC field engineer had many discussions with Lazslo but I'm not sure if they ever squeezed any money out of him in fines.

As someone else asked, why would you want to build a CB repeater? Besides the entire concept of a 27MHz class D CB repeater being illegal and a 27MHz 4-bay dipole array would seriously violate height rules, why would you stop at a 4w transmitter and keep the frequencies within the regular 40 channels? And why use Andrew Heliax for CB? BTW, it doesn't come in a 1" size.
prcguy

kb2vxa

Banned
"i posed the question on another forum and the above is the culmination of our brain storming."

That perfectly explains the existence of this thread. As we all know when one suffers a lightning strike he rarely survives but those who do almost always suffer irreparable nerve damage and impaired brain function.

burner50

The Third Variable
Database Admin
1 Mile separation for a 4 watt system?

1 inch hardline at those frequencies?

Talk about overkill...

Status
Not open for further replies.