11 solar cycles explained by planetary alignment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2xq

Mentor
The 11 year solar cycle may be explained by solar tides caused by planetary alignment. The
12 minute video is a bit too basic in the beginning but it gets interesting after ~3 minutes. The "A Model of a Tidally Synchronized Solar Dynamo" paper referred to can be downloaded as a PDF from this https://export.arxiv.org/pdf/1803.08692 link. Personally I have to read around the advanced math within, but nevertheless interesting.

This explanation was something I don't recall reading about.

On a personal note, I doubt I will ever see another solar cycle like the huge 1957-58 maximum (aka IGY). Those months of solar maximum were amazing, and taught me a lot about propagation by participating in the ARRL-IGY Propagation Research Project.

milcom_chaser

This one was major too. Knocked out some grids back in the day. If you want to call them that. If this happened again - sooo many satellites might be affected. There goes my ATM banking. Better stash some cash...

Carrington Event

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It appears that the next cycle is expected to be even weaker than the last one. However mother nature has been known to throw us a curve ball every now and again. This is one time I hope I'm wrong....Mike

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Interesting take.. Kinda makes sense..

I missed the 57-58 cycle.. It was before I got my license. But I did get to enjoy cycle 21 (~79-81) and cycle 22 (~91-92) which were decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.