• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

12 Volt Radio Accessory Charging

estone4009

Feed Provider
Maybe overthinking this but here is scenario: Have a Radio headset that need to be on charge while in truck, charges off battery with no issues. When the Key is turned to accesory we need a circuit that kills the 12 volt power to that charger. The reason being is this is a Bluetooth radio that powers up while charging (Factory Forced) and we do not want it auto connecting to radio.
We have currently tried to accomplish this with a RL45 relay that when it senses voltage on from the ACC key it kills the 87A output. What I am seeing though is that triggering off the ACC Key is not consistent as when the truck is started that relay might have been off and on a few cycles. Trying to figure out some type of timer circuit I am thinking that can sense loss of 12 volt from the 87A relay terminal and keep it off for x number of seconds to give the headset time to power down and not auto connect. Open to any suggestions on how to cleanly do this is multiple trucks.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Something like a Lind Timer or a Charge Guard could be set up to do that. Kind of an expensive option if you don't have one sitting around. They can be found cheap on e-Bay.

What kind of truck are you talking about? Maybe there are other options?

estone4009

Feed Provider
Doge Ram 4500. I think the Charge Guard is sort of backwards on what I need. I need the unit to charge while not running. The desire is that once ignition is sensed I need it to kill power to that circuit 100% for a predetermined time. The relay kills power but it seems to be a timing issue where between the relay shutting power off and radio booting up it still connects. My other thought is there an easy way to delay the start up up a Motorla APX1500 radio by that uses ignition sense by either a timer from ignition sense to power up signal. So far nothing I have seen in programing to produce that delay.

a417

U+0000
Run the charge guard off one of the sensing modes (not IGN), and then invert the output thru a constant-duty rated relay. Have the device powered off the normally closed connection, so when the ChargeGuard senses the engine is running, it kills the power to that circuit.

Instead of having the relay turn the device on, it turns it off.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Doge Ram 4500. I think the Charge Guard is sort of backwards on what I need. I need the unit to charge while not running. The desire is that once ignition is sensed I need it to kill power to that circuit 100% for a predetermined time. The relay kills power but it seems to be a timing issue where between the relay shutting power off and radio booting up it still connects. My other thought is there an easy way to delay the start up up a Motorla APX1500 radio by that uses ignition sense by either a timer from ignition sense to power up signal. So far nothing I have seen in programing to produce that delay.

a417 got it. You won't use it in a traditional fashion. Using it in 'reverse' is what I was suggesting.

N4KVE

Get an elevator relay. My friend repaired elevators, & each car had a relay that could be set from one second to thirty seconds to control how long the elevator door stays open when it’s stopped on a floor. Dip switches are used to choose how long the delay is. I have mine set for eight seconds, figuring when I crank the engine it’ll start before eight seconds. I don’t want the radio on when cranking the engine. The timer relay then goes to the typical 5 pin auto relay. This way the three radios in my car are totally disconnected from the car battery when the engine isn’t running. These devices are sold in bulk to elevator companies, I can’t seeing these being over $10 each.

a417

U+0000
. These devices are sold in bulk to elevator companies, I can’t seeing these being over $10 each.
Find which one you have. I can't find anything similar for less than 3 digits, but I'm only casually searching.

N4KVE

Find which one you have. I can't find anything similar for less than 3 digits, but I'm only casually searching.
My friend retired a few months back due to two heart attacks, but his truck always had a dozen of them. The one I have is under the passenger carpet of my car, & I don’t feel like ripping it out to take a photo. But if I Google elevator door timer, there’s many starting at $10..

a417

U+0000
Ahh that'll be why. I didn't use google the first time, but I did it this time...

elevator door.png

I'll have to keep looking tho, I'll be doing my own implementation of this soon and If I can save the money and not have to buy a $90 CG-X, I'll definitely consider it. Thanks for the insight!

[edit - horrendous spelling]

estone4009

Feed Provider
I have a charge guard and I am testing now but I one major issue with the charge guard in this setup. The minimum delay is 5 seconds and I really need a smaller delay. So if it waits 5 seconds to kill the headest power at that point the radio is already powered up and connected I am afraid.

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Here's what I have used for many many little projects:

It is highly configurable and is just right for a lot of scenarios. What you need is a missing pulse detector. This timer can be set up so it will trigger the relay instantly on acc power detect but the timer will not start until the trigger is removed. If the trigger is applied again the timer will reset. You can have multiple on/off triggers happen but if they are shorter than what the timer is set for the relay will always be activated.

This comes as the board only. You'll need to add your own plastic project box or something to protect it.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I don't suppose there is a way to make the Bluetooth NOT auto connect. it doesn't seem right that something not paired would automatically connect to anything. Based on the original post, is that what you really want?

Unless you do want an auto connect, just not when the ignition is turned on.

Thanks
Joel