120v @ 10-20 amps in a motor vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb872033

I am intrested in putting a 120 Volt outlet in my jeep...Just wondering if anyone has done this and what the easiest way might be? would i be better off just getting a generator? the amperage doesnt have to be too high id like 20 but could get away with 10...I have a feeling that it will be a rather costly endevour no matter what way i go...i was thinkin generator but they can be loud and i might want to use it while moving and with a generator it probablly isnt to safe to do so...thanks for any input yall might have for me!!

JB

SkipSanders

Silent Key
First, I'd read this article:

http://www.zena.net/htdocs/alternators/alt_inf2.shtml

Your car doesn't provide that kind of power, and would need this sort of refitting to do so, and it's not at all simple or cheap.

You're asking for 100-200 amps worth of alternator output current, added to whatever it needed before to run the car, not even considering losses in whatever converter you use to convert to AC, (also expensive in this power range!)

Base response, if you want 1-2 Kilowatts of AC, you need to use a seperate gas powered generator. That means finding a place to install it safely and properly. Consult with RV dealers, I guess.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber

jb872033

Id like it for general purposes but id like to power a tower computer in there...and maybe a worklight...I know i couldnt pull it off the alternator thats out of capacity, the inverter seems the way to go...

mrsvensven

Premium Subscriber
you don't need a ful 10 Amps for general purposes. Why use a tower when you could use a laptop or low-power computer?

RC54730

jb872033 said:
Id like it for general purposes but id like to power a tower computer in there...and maybe a worklight...I know i couldnt pull it off the alternator thats out of capacity, the inverter seems the way to go...
Depends on what you're using the computer for, but you may want to consider a separate power supply altogether. The reason I say this is that if you're doing things like off-roading, or going out in the wilderness, it makes a lot of sense to keep all of your peripheral electronics separate from the car - that way you don't accidentally run down your battery, stuff like that.

I use a 75 amp hour optima "yellow top" battery as a separate power source for my repeater when I'm out backpacking. That works extremely well, and the optima batteries are amazing. It's a deep-cycle/starting battery that is perfect for these sorts of applications - you can drain it all the way down, repeatedly, and you can even use it for jump-starting your car if you end up in a situation where you've accidentally killed you car's battery (it's happened to me before, lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.