12209 in Genessee County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnoyeb

The database has 12209 in Genessee county. Regional EMS dispatch. However, in Southfield, this is my strongest channel. Is this TGID correct? Seems Genessee is too far to be so strong and clear here.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
You aren't receiving it from the tower in Genessee County, you are getting it from your local tower. The Wiki has a section on trunking system that explains how statewide systems work.

a29zuk

If your scanner is locked on to the Holly tower control channel you will hear it. All or most of the Genesee County talkgroups are on the Holly tower.

dnoyeb

Yes, I did read the wiki. How can I tell which tower I am locked onto during the transmission? Should I ask in the scanner forum? Im using a Uniden 396XT.

Is there a way in the database to tell which towers will repeat which talk groups? Southfield borders Detroit but based on the reception I don't think Detroit talk groups are being broadcast from the Southfield tower.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
1) Depends on what towers you programmed in and which ones you can hear.

2) No. That's just from experience or general knowledge. I.E. Most Detroit talkgroups are not broadcast in Lansing, and Traverse City talkgroups aren't broadcast in Monroe Co.

ffexpCP

wizard of odd
Database Admin
Regional EMS is the same company as Community EMS in Southfield. All dispatch is handled through the Southfield CEMS station, so the talkgroup is probably active on the area towers since that is where the dispatch radios would be affiliated.

dnoyeb

The scanner shows the frequency its locked on when its found something. It also shows the site name. Problem was the old system had the same name for every site, so I did not notice.

Also, thanks for the pointer that regional EMS is same as Community EMS.

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
If you are in an area where you can receive signals from more that one tower site, it might not be a bad idea to program them all into your scanner. In my area, there are 5 tower sites that cover different parts of my county, & I can receive 4 of them from home with a hand-held scanner. If you are only listening to one tower site, & there are no units associated with that site on the talkgroup you are interested in, you will not hear them. Also, if the system goes into "site trunking", you will have to listen to individual sites to hear everything you want to hear.

SCPD

QRT
Regional EMS is the same company as Community EMS in Southfield. All dispatch is handled through the Southfield CEMS station, so the talkgroup is probably active on the area towers since that is where the dispatch radios would be affiliated.

Regional and Community are owned by the same company but NOT dispatched on the same talkgroup. Regional is 12209 and Community is still VHF (155.265 I think). Regional only serves Genesee Co and Community serves Oakland and Livingston.There was a big thread about this a few months ago.

a29zuk

2) No. That's just from experience or general knowledge. I.E. Most Detroit talkgroups are not broadcast in Lansing, and Traverse City talkgroups aren't broadcast in Monroe Co.

Rdale is right. Traveling throughtout the state, generally speaking, a county will only broadcast the main dispatch ID's of their neighboring counties(i.e. PD dispatch, FD dispatch). The Holly tower, not being a part of the Genesee County simulcast, is an exception.

SCPD

QRT
Rdale is right. Traveling throughtout the state, generally speaking, a county will only broadcast the main dispatch ID's of their neighboring counties(i.e. PD dispatch, FD dispatch). The Holly tower, not being a part of the Genesee County simulcast, is an exception.

Yeah and some southern Genesee Co talkgroups (Fenton, Linden Argentine, etc.) are sometimes only heard on the Holly tower because the unit is closer to it than the nearest Genesee Co tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.