125.000 CHYM

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Not sure if there are many of us who monitor air traffic in the Hamilton area but if so does anyone notice that on 125, there is a constant interference, a high-ish hiss.

I'm downtown Hamilton with good height, I'm guessing 200 feet above the ground not far from King St W, I can monitor most of the comms, planes and ATC but the hiss is a PITA.

I tried my Attenuator on this frequency but it's still more powerful and its a drag.

I generally use my old Radio Shack Pro 2045 for monitoring Air traffic but I still get the same sound on pretty much all my other scanners, inside or out, regular antennas or mag mounts on my balcony.

It's a bit of a drag, there is a fair bit of activity late evenings and overnight as freight and courier planes in and out of YHM.

Eric

ATCTech

Things that make me go hmmm...... I've had EMI on exactly 120.0 and 125.0 for years on SDRs and the Icom R7000s here. I always put it down to something in or around the house but despite being paid for years to do just that with ATC I've never done the device isolation routine here for my own problem.

Can you have a listen to 120.0 for me and see if by chance you have the same hiss there? In my case there is no difference between the discone and my dedicated directional 800MHz yagi which has always led me to think it's getting into the RF path right here in the room after the coax switch.

Try monitoring 121.6 instead of 125.0 for YHM Tower. Much of the time during this pandemic era they have the two cross-coupled almost constantly so you'll hear everything on either.

Last edited:

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I have 121.6 on as well.
I'll try 120. As well.

I have a computer and a Samsung TV box in the living room and it does cause some electrical interference, but even if I turn it off and unplug stuff I hear the sound on 125. and I hear it on all my scanners.

When we lived in Burlington it was the same thing in both apartments, and on the balcony with scanners over the years like the 396XT, 396T, HP1, PSR800 etc... same noise.

VA3DBJ

Ontario Database Admin
Database Admin
Some 12V to 5V USB power packs have reportedly caused interference at 125 MHz, as well as a few Raspberry Pi's. You may need to look at any power adaptors you might have around. I had one Uniden adaptor for the 996XT that caused noise in the Aero band and the old 150 MHz navigational satellite band. I put a ferrite choke on it and the noise was gone.

ATCTech

You nailed that one, I got curious after writing my response to Eric last night an sure enough some of the source is the Pi 3 that's sitting a few feet away quietly (or so I thought!) doing the VDL2 decoding.

mrweather

It's a shame that manufacturers of home electronics aren't taken to task for the RFI their products spew...

VA3SOM

Premium Subscriber
I monitor CYHM quite often, glad to know i am not the only one!. I like to listen to the late night cargo traffic, so it is def annoying!.

I always have to lock it out as it gets stuck on that channel with that issue. Using a SDS200 right now, but also happened on my TRX and I think even the 996XT.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Just checked 121.500 MHz and 125.00 MHz in Fort Erie ON. Picking up interference on both, never had this problem before.

Checked on the SDS100 and 436 HP scanner, the same thing. I did notice this for several days.

Attachments

• 121.500 mhz.wav.zip
    225.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 125.000 mhz.wav.zip
    211.7 KB · Views: 10

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Just checked 121.500 MHz and 125.00 MHz in Fort Erie ON. Picking up interference on both, never had this problem before.

Checked on the SDS100 and 436 HP scanner, the same thing. I did notice this for several days.

Steve: Yup, that's the sound I hear on all my scanners. The Pro 2025 is hooked up to a AC Adapter and I thought that maybe since it's defective that with another adapter the RF would stop.

Nope, still there, and still there on my stand alone battery scanners

I monitor CYHM quite often, glad to know i am not the only one!. I like to listen to the late night cargo traffic, so it is def annoying!.

I always have to lock it out as it gets stuck on that channel with that issue. Using a SDS200 right now, but also happened on my TRX and I think even the 996XT.

I enjoy following and watching the planes come in and out of CHYM. It's a change of pace and there is little or no violence and misery over the air.

2 or 3 Sundays ago, a Montreal bound plane declared PAN, PAN, PAN, flap issues. I don't hear many Air Emergency calls

Some 12V to 5V USB power packs have reportedly caused interference at 125 MHz, as well as a few Raspberry Pi's. You may need to look at any power adaptors you might have around. I had one Uniden adaptor for the 996XT that caused noise in the Aero band and the old 150 MHz navigational satellite band. I put a ferrite choke on it and the noise was gone.

I have a large amount of adapters and electronics in general plugged in and working near my desk but I still hear the interference with portable scanners like the 396T & HP1.

With both scanners on batteries inside and outside, either antennas, RD or mAh mounts, the sound is still there.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Steve: Yup, that's the sound I hear on all my scanners. The Pro 2025 is hooked up to a AC Adapter and I thought that maybe since it's defective that with another adapter the RF would stop.

Nope, still there, and still there on my stand alone battery scanners
Yea, nothing has changed around my place. This started a few days ago. It's in the airwaves, it does come and go.

I have been searching the 118-137 MHz band for over an hour and the noise just came on the frequencies for about 5 seconds and disappeared, the weather is gusting winds and rain off and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.