• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

1250 Scan lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if im asking a question that has already been asked but I have 6 or 7 different scan lists is it possible to change which list im scanning from the radio?

RKG

Yes. Select a channel that is in the scan list you want to scan and hit the scan button.

No.

To the OP:

1) Each of the channels programmed in your radio has a scan list associated with it. This is done in the CPS programming.

2) The scan list associated with a given channel is what will be scanned whenever scan is invoked with that channel as "selected" by the channel selector.

3) Depending on CPS programming choices, the user may be able to add or delete non-priority members of the scan list associated with the currently selected channel.

4) Depending on CPS programming choices, the user may have a "nuisance delete" button programmed, for temporary deletion of a non-priority channel from the scan list.

Bottom line:

Scan list in use = tied to selected channel.

Change scan list in use? = Change currently selected channel.

Note: the fact that Channel X is a non-priority member of Scan List 1 does not mean that selecting Channel X will invoke Scan List 1 for scanning. Channel X could be a member of any number of scan lists. What matters is what scan list is tagged to Channel X in the CPS programming.

bnt133

Premium Subscriber
So If I have different zones how do I get it to scan that zone
No.

To the OP:

1) Each of the channels programmed in your radio has a scan list associated with it. This is done in the CPS programming.

2) The scan list associated with a given channel is what will be scanned whenever scan is invoked with that channel as "selected" by the channel selector.

3) Depending on CPS programming choices, the user may be able to add or delete non-priority members of the scan list associated with the currently selected channel.

4) Depending on CPS programming choices, the user may have a "nuisance delete" button programmed, for temporary deletion of a non-priority channel from the scan list.

Bottom line:

Note: the fact that Channel X is a non-priority member of Scan List 1 does not mean that selecting Channel X will invoke Scan List 1 for scanning. Channel X could be a member of any number of scan lists. What matters is what scan list is tagged to Channel X in the CPS programming.

trlrdrdave

It is easier if you think of it this way. What ever channel you are on when you start scan will be the list that is scanned. You have to know what list is assigned to that channel. I have been in on this discussion before. http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/215146-scanning-all-128-channels-my-250-a.html Just build your list and decide on a logical way to know what list you have assigned to that channel. Zone 1 ch 1 list 1. Zone 1 ch 2 list 2 and so on. Or zone 1 channel 1 list 1, zone 2 channel 2 list 2. Its not really that hard after it clicks in your head what you are doing. There is a slight learning curve but it isn't that bad.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
No.

To the OP:

Bottom line:

Thats what I said. You just made it long winded.....:roll:

RKG

Thats what I said. You just made it long winded.....:roll:

Possibly, but I intended one significant correction:

The "selected channel" (i.e., the channel on which the radio is set via the channel knob) does NOT have to be in a scan list in order to associate that scan list with the channel.

In fact, the most efficient way to utilize scan lists does not involve including all channels that might use a scan list in the scan list.

Rather, you use the "Sel Chan" option as a member.

For instance, when our units are in town, they scan a list that includes SelChan, Fire F1, Metro Fire, PD (RXO) and a utility channel. SelChan is set as priority 1; there is no priority 2; and Tx is always steered to SelChan.

You can then tag this scan list to any other channel. When selected on that other channel, you are scanning the selected channel (as priority), plus Fire F1, MetroFire, PD RXO, and Utility. If you press the key, you are transmitting on the selected channel.

I thus took issue with this statement: "Select a channel that is in the scan list you want to scan and hit the scan button." (Emphasis added.)

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
That makes sense...alot of sense. I over looked that option completely. I appreciate your input and reading your informative posts here and in the past. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

RKG

That makes sense...alot of sense. I over looked that option completely. I appreciate your input and reading your informative posts here and in the past. Sorry if I came across the wrong way.

You didn't; no sweat.

For what it may be worth, virtually all of my radio work is for public safety, and in general I'm very leery of scan in a pubic safety application. So the lists are comparatively short, tailored for the situation, and used with discretion:

When the guys are in town and not engaged, it makes sense for the fire to listen to our PD and the surrounding two or three towns, and for the PD to listen to two surrounding towns and BAPERN (area-wide BOLOs) -- so long as the priority feature insures that no local dispatch calls are missed and so long as strapping Tx to Selected insures no transmissions going where they weren't intended.

The out-of-town scan list has only three entries: SelChan, their home dispatch channel, and the "mutual aid" channel. The SelChan entry makes this single list usable wherever they have gone, and it has three virtues: a) while they are out of town, the guys are kept current on what's going on at home, b) if they forget to revert back to Z1C1 when they get home, they'll probably still hear dispatch, and c) in theory, we can reach them out of town if for some reason they have to be ordered back. (This last has never, in fact, happened.)

Status
Not open for further replies.