129.9 at OC MD

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackTV

Hey all ,
I just got back from a couple of days in OC MD.
Snatched an unusaul freq. while scanning on the beach.
129.9 Came in real loud and clear.Called themselves New York...??? Gave out HF freqs, and cel phone info to aircraft i guess that was going across the ocean. Heard the controller plain as day & night don't think it was skip.

Jack

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
It's a little hard without more information - the HF frequencies would have been a dead giveaway. But a little detective work supplies some possibilities;

a. I eliminated the NY ARTCC since I didn't see that freq in the database (we have many of the ARTCCs detailed, in case you didn't know)

b. A more likely possibility is that you heard a North Atlantic Major World Aero Radio Area (MWARA) center shifting coverage from VHF to HF. They have both extensive VHF and HF networks, organized into groups of frequencies known as 'families'. The North Atlantic (NAT) family is detailed in our wiki.

http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/North_Atlantic,_Caribbean

c. Another possibility, somewhat less likely is you heard a Long Distance Operational Control (LDOC) frequency - they used to have a site near Barnegat Bay NJ I believe, and almost always identified as 'NY Radio'. They are not nearly as active as they once were, and many have closed down in recent years, having moved to satellite ops. These LDOCs act like controllers for company based aircraft going overseas, out of range of VHF ops, which tends to fit your brief description.

VHF skip over a water path is not uncommon, particularly in the summer months. Not such a bad catch at all, actually. If you hear them again, try to pay attention to the HF freqs if they give them. It will help nail down what you heard.

73 Mike

BMT

New York Radio use's 129.9.

They also use 122.0, 122.1, 122.2, 129.4.

BMT

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Interesting; even more so, there's 2 entries for this frequency in the FCC database, under NY.

Now which is it - the MWARA station or the LDOC? Hard to say without the HF frequencies, unfortunately

73 Mike

The 126 frequencies in the 128.85-132.0 range are airline operational frequencies. 129.9 is New York ARINC and that particular frequency is an extended range VHF frequency.

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL

Mark

Premium Subscriber
The 126 frequencies in the 128.85-132.0 range are airline operational frequencies. 129.9 is New York ARINC and that particular frequency is an extended range VHF frequency.

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL

Agree with Mark in Illinois.That is AIRINC freq for NY Oceanic clearance.
You heard them give aircraft SELCAL freq checks for Oceanic HF radios.Not Cell-Call
I made same mistake years ago.. :) Sounds like CellCall but is actually SELCAL.
One reason why Trans-Atlantic commercial aircraft have to have that extra HF radio gear to fly those routes.
Being on the beach at OC you probably had commercial jet calling New York AIRINC Northbound over Atlantic City area/Sea Isle ZDC route FL 350 or better so that is why he came in so clear.
OC and Delaware beaches are right in major flight route for North-South Washington Ctr ZDC high altitude air traffic.Try 133.125 ZDC Sea Isle next time on beach and you will hear them and see their aircraft contrails overhead.
Also 120.925 for ZDC Salisbury Maryland for aircraft headed that way.They both come in fairly good on my handheld down there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELCAL

Mark

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

Mark Holmes
Marion, IL

DUH! That's what I get thinking HF not VHF....Interesting Mark. That range I knew about, but I rarely listen in there anymore due to antenna issues. I wonder if the ARINC website has a list of these freqs? Would be interesting to have.

73 Mike

[edit] Answered my own question (ARINC is about 20 minutes from me - it's headquartered in Annapolis) - the Jeppesen charts are what I was looking for, and here's the link (they're in a PDF format)

http://www.arinc.com/products/voice_data_comm/air_ground_radio_svc/jepp_charts.html

Last edited:

eng2trk

NY in the OC

Back in the late 80's when I lived in OC for the summer, I could listen to FDNY at night on thier VHF channels. That was on an old Bearcat 210 with no outside antenna. I was right on the boardwalk in a condo on 18th street 4th floor.

I think it is just the way OC sorta hangs out there on the coastline. Line of sight is pretty clear to the old NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.