• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

12VDC Power Distribution Terminal Blocks, ETC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I picked up an ASTRON RS-20M power supply. For starters I want to power four scanners and one CB. The power supply has two 20A posts on the back and two sets of Anderson Powerpols on the front. I want to run one short cable (2 conductor) from the power supply to the back of the radios then split it into 6-12 connections, one for each radio and some extras for future use. What are you guys using and recommend?

1610280733283.png 1610280682359.png1610280653074.png

I've been looking at numerous options:

1610280996011.png 1610281064846.png 1610281160397.png1610281188746.png1610281272292.png 1610281544337.png1610281592697.png

Mr_Boh

Anderson PowerPoles are good just because they are good connectors and there are knock-offs that are compatible and just as suitable. It's pricier to get started with the tools needed to crimp them and the connectors themselves compared to blade or screw terminals, but good if you plan on being in this hobby for a while. I just like how easy it is to swap equipment and get power on the fly. You may find yourself making custom jumpers to go from PowerPole to various radio brands and other universal equipment.

The blade or screw terminals are better for more "long term" installs and cheaper to get going, so just know that if you go PowerPole, you are paying for the convenience of quick connect/disconnect.

I am NOT a fan of "banana" style connectors. I have never had consistency with the sizing on those. I have power supplies where the connector doesn't have enough friction so I end up just making short jumpers with ring terminals.

a417

U+0000
If I was constantly changing equipment in a mobile environment, or a constantly evolving (like days or weeks between changes) setup I'd go with a powerpole based system - but that was if I was willing to commit to changing wire heads & all the like as @Mr_Boh stated.

If I wasn't doing that...I'd just use the bussman idea, like I'm currently doing now, as I have hundreds of spade connectors over various gauges, the fuses are all over the garage and I have complete portability between car, truck, workbench, mobile, etc...

I'm cheap. I'm using what I have, and what works. It doesn't need a big ol branded name on it.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I'm always adding, removing and changing things at my base. I want to make sure what ever I use doesn't have the possibility of shorting and causing a fire should something fall on them or if equipment gets pushed up against something metallic. Plus I have a curious cat that likes to sniff around! :cautious: When buying Anderson Powerpole stuff is there any prefered sources? Seems everyone is selling them.

a417

U+0000
I want to make sure what ever I use doesn't have the possibility of shorting and causing a fire should something fall on them or if equipment gets pushed up against something metallic.
Ah.

I plan my power distribution to usually be hanging from the underside of a shelf or desk surface and the wires secured so that's not an issue. Also keeps it out of the nibbling range of the 7lb rabbit.

izzyj4

Premium Subscriber
For inside home shack, I use a Rig Runner connected to my power supply. My feeling is better protection running from a power supply to the RigRunner with each output power connector being fused. Plus the fact having Anderson PowerPole connections just make things easier for changeouts and quick disconnects if I have to work on a radio / scanner. I have a Blue Sea fuse block for my truck which I'll be installing for my radios / scanners / etc. for a more "permanent" mobile set up. This is what I feel is best for me.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
BlueSea ATO fuse blocks. You can get them on Amazon in many configurations. I've used them in mobile installs for years with zero issues.
Cheaper, easier and more flexible than Anderson power-poles. Buy a box of spade lugs and you'll be set.

I second the BSS stuff. I have no qualms putting it into the emergency vehicles I build. Screw terminals mean you don't have to worry about spades pulling off in case someone goes digging into wires.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I was leaning toward Anderson Power Poles but things were started adding up quickly! A good quality crimping tool, a box of assorted connectors, and multi-connector distribution options were adding up to over $200. I went with the BlueSea solution. For my low current needs this will work just fine for an investment of about $30.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I went with the BlueSea solution. For my low current needs this will work just fine for an investment of about $30.
Did you include ring terminals for the wires and a crimping tool for the terminals?

prcguy

If you twist the bare wires with some pliers you don't need no wire nuts. Just put a little electrical tape on it when yur done. Or even a dab of masking tape will do.

Otherwise for amateur use I put Anderson Power Poles on everything because I have dozens of power sources and dozens of radios and they make life sooo much easier. Its really nice being able to take any radio or amplifier or charger or whatever and plug it into the car, house, go box, portable battery power, RV, whatever. And if all your friends use Power Poles then everyone is compatible.

However I would never use Anderson Power Poles in a professional environment like public service vehicles, etc, since a snagged power cable can become a single source of radio failure when lives depend on it. Especially when the user is not a ham or radio person tuned into quick troubleshooting when the radio goes dead.

You can get ok crimpers for Anderson Power Poles for $39 and a bag of 25 pairs of red/black 30A Power Poles with roll pins is about $25. I use a lot of Power Pole distribution blocks with 3 to 8 outputs and also have a big MFJ thing with a volt meter and various fused Power Pole outputs that cost more than its worth but I've used it a lot over the last 20yrs.

Red wire nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.