13.560 Khz - is it RFID?

Status
Not open for further replies.
on a whim, i decided to plug 13.560 Khz into the Icom HF receiver this afternoon.

lo and behold, i get a distinct "pulse" above the background noise.

the pulse gets clearer as the sun goes down, and cannot be picked up around the house with a handheld receiver.

i have read that RFID operates on this frequency (as well as some others) - anyone care to verify this?

rcvmo

You may be picking out a FAX or WEFAX. Those stations are all over the place and on many HF freqs.
rcvmo

yeah, kHz would imply that it operates in a slightly different manner.

Mhz would imply that shorter range that is RFID by spec.

now i'm REALLY curious as to what i was picking up on 13.560 kHz last night. it will probably end up being my refrigerator or something equally stupid.

nd5y

13.56 MHz is one of the ISM junk fequencies on HF. The others are 6.78 and 27.12 MHz. You could have heard a lot of things besides RFID.

ReceiverBeaver

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well I just had it written down here somewhere, but from recent memory, 13.553-13.667, or thereabouts, is a portion of the Part 15 low power service. They have small portions in 3 different places and are known as: LOW'fers, MID'fers and HI'fers

These are experimental and unlicensed operators who try and see what kind of signals they can generate and how far away they can get while being forced to use very lower power and restricted antennas.

Just Google [ hifers] and it will take you right to alot of info.

Seeing as it is "weak signal work", most operators here use CW or some other digital mode as these modes are more easily deciferable over distances and with weak signals than say...voice.

You are probably receiving morse code or some other digital mode from one of these Part 15 experiementers.

If my memory also serves correctly, the RFID tags are using high VHF of UHF frequencies and are no where near 13 mhz.

You can Google RFID as well and I'm certain there are other threads on this site which dicuss these topics.

TNX

The RBeav

something else to consider: RFID reader wouldn't pulse continuously.

not only would it be a very short range, but it should (conceivably) annunciate only when prompted. by an RFID tag, for example. i'm thinking of the Fuel Dispensers at Exxon that use the Speed Pass RFID thingie.

nd5y

ReceiverBeaver said:
If my memory also serves correctly, the RFID tags are using high VHF of UHF frequencies and are no where near 13 mhz.

I always thought they were on 433 MHz until I searched "RFID 13.56"

nd5y

muddy mudskipper said:
something else to consider: RFID reader wouldn't pulse continuously.

not only would it be a very short range, but it should (conceivably) annunciate only when prompted. by an RFID tag, for example. i'm thinking of the Fuel Dispensers at Exxon that use the Speed Pass RFID thingie.

You have that backwards. The reader transmits all the time, the tags only respond back when they get close enough to a reader.

Napalm

Premium Subscriber
So we ARE talking about MHz then?

I don't think there's much below around 50kHz, but I know there are some dedicated ELF guys who monitor below there.

How sensitive is your radio at V/ELF anyway? I know mine sort of dies after 50kHz or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.