130-2000Mhz Wide Band Umbrella Antenna TC-ST-3-30/1300WB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

It's a discone you can fold together so it will take up less space when transporting it or for storage. Good for temporary listening and then put in storage again until next event. For permanent listening you should choose a standard discone for less cost and less hassle. All those moving joints will get you into trouble sooner or later.

/Ubbe

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Part of the ad says it covers 130-2000MHz and the specs say 100-1300MHz. Discones in theory have a 10:1 frequency ratio. It has an SO239 connector. Useless at 2GHz.

digitalanalog

It's a discone you can fold together so it will take up less space when transporting it or for storage. Good for temporary listening and then put in storage again until next event. For permanent listening you should choose a standard discone for less cost and less hassle. All those moving joints will get you into trouble sooner or later.

/Ubbe

Yep I understand its a discone that folds, but I never seen one with a second set of skirt elements flipped upside down and attached to the same center mast like that.

and it doesn't show the second set of skirt elements in all of the photo's.

maybe it's an option, but then again it doesn't say it is, so who know's.
interesting antenna never seen one like it.

Looks like you have to buy minimum of 5, or it might be worth it just to buy one and see how it preforms, I am sure it's just a basic discone but the second set of radials has me wondering why.

Just find it interesting.

MDScanFan

The “upside down” lower elements look to be simply support arms with insulators that slip over the main radials. They are there to aid in collapsing and extending the antenna. Like an umbrella. Based on their location under the lower radials they serve no RF purpose. This antenna will behave no differently than a standard, non-collapsible discone or similar size.

Yep I understand its a discone that folds, but I never seen one with a second set of skirt elements flipped upside down and attached to the same center mast like that.

and it doesn't show the second set of skirt elements in all of the photo's.

maybe it's an option, but then again it doesn't say it is, so who know's.
interesting antenna never seen one like it.

Looks like you have to buy minimum of 5, or it might be worth it just to buy one and see how it preforms, I am sure it's just a basic discone but the second set of radials has me wondering why.

Just find it interesting.

Ubbe

If you think of the original discone as a solid metal cone at the bottom, nothing you have inside that cone will matter. To get a discone less wind sensitive and cheaper you compromise and replace the solid metal with thinner elements and the gap between them are not so terrible when calculating with the wavelenght they should handle. But it has to be a minimum of 8 elements to not loose too much performance. The mil ones can have 16 elements for best possible performance and are probably the maximum you have room for at the "crown".

/Ubbe

Status
Not open for further replies.