13146khz usb

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
Good catch, Ridgy. I would have thought that a 13Mhz freq would have been a bit high for that time of day but perhaps they expect traffic from anywhere - probably the signal came over the pole to you. I see the same freq is used (monitored?) by GKA Portishead but I thought that they had closed down - perhaps it was just the CW side and the RadPhone has been made into a commercial enterprise. Most decent sized ships would have SatCom anyway. I'll have a listen on the freq at dusk here and see what I get on some of the other freqs too - the Mediterranean countries come in well then - Madrid REI is particularly good on 6055 - he's my geographical antipode.

brandon

Database Admin
Hey ridge: I checked my notes and logged a weather broadcast on this freq back in April.

ridgescan

Good catch, Ridgy. I would have thought that a 13Mhz freq would have been a bit high for that time of day but perhaps they expect traffic from anywhere - probably the signal came over the pole to you. I see the same freq is used (monitored?) by GKA Portishead but I thought that they had closed down - perhaps it was just the CW side and the RadPhone has been made into a commercial enterprise. Most decent sized ships would have SatCom anyway. I'll have a listen on the freq at dusk here and see what I get on some of the other freqs too - the Mediterranean countries come in well then - Madrid REI is particularly good on 6055 - he's my geographical antipode.
Thanks Martin-I also heard a male automated voice doing a report after that but I couldn't get what the content was due to signal strength and extremely muffled voice not unlike some of the horrible weather reports on WWV.

Hey ridge: I checked my notes and logged a weather broadcast on this freq back in April.
Brandon what did you ID on that freq at that time?

brandon

Database Admin
Unfortunately I could not identify it. Here is the recording if you want to listen. Signal was not very strong at the time --- also had some interference from Asian sounding traffic on the same freq.

majoco

Stirrer
0935z theres a voice in French reading the weather for the north coast of the Med. Fortunately je parle un peu. Started off at Marseilles and moved eastwards. I don't think it's a computer voice though - too much inflection on some vowels. Barely a microvolt and some big static crashes from a thunderstorm that passed late afternoon here. Still going with some maritime warnings at 0945 but can only catch about one word in three.

Much stronger on 17260 and now in English - well, sort of, lets say Fringlish! 0955z now. Seems to be weather in the areas around the Med Islands, Corsica, Sardinia, Elba.

Signed off at 0958 then started playing some awful music reminiscent of the French National Anthem. Then came a list of all the frequencies (some continuous broadcasts on the VHF channels) in French followed by a female with the same info in English. Then more 'music'!...

Last edited:

ridgescan

Martin did you get that from your loop antenna? I gotta check into getting one up here. I just can't squeeze enough voice out of this DX

majoco

Stirrer
Sorry, Ridgy, no loops here - a 66ft short longwire (?) about 20ft up running about N-S into a 9:1 unun then coax to the receiver. A bit deaf around 8MHz where its a half-wave but otherwise quite good - if no-one turns the TV on!

Status
Not open for further replies.