133.3 changed

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Today, I noticed that the Edmonton Center Control or West Air Operations Center frequency of 133.3 has gone silent. In searching NOTAMs it appears that this frequency is now on 127.775.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
There is action in Calgary on 127.775 with Edmonton Centre giving altitudes to planes landing into Calgary, departing Calgary and right now a Med flight going into Medicine Hat. 133.3 was listed as Banff Sector and has been changed. They are also giving flight clearances to a plane heading to Edmonton just NE of Calgary. I haven't looked for a map showing air sectors for Alberta but 133.3 seemed to control all traffic from being handed off over the Rockies, over Montana/Alberta border as well as Sask. Alberta border.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I'm sure the TX location is Calgary with communication through Edmonton Center as they answer to Edmonton Center and planes are advised to contact Edmonton Center on 127.775. TAFL shows the transmitter near the YYC tower. TAFL shows In Service Date of 2018 August 14. Interestingly, 133.30 no longer shows on TAFL.

scannerboy01

There is action in Calgary on 127.775 with Edmonton Centre giving altitudes to planes landing into Calgary, departing Calgary and right now a Med flight going into Medicine Hat. 133.3 was listed as Banff Sector and has been changed. They are also giving flight clearances to a plane heading to Edmonton just NE of Calgary. I haven't looked for a map showing air sectors for Alberta but 133.3 seemed to control all traffic from being handed off over the Rockies, over Montana/Alberta border as well as Sask. Alberta border.
If this was at night, Centre will often link up transmitters so that one controller can work multiple areas when the workload gets slower. Haven’t been south for awhile, but from what I remember, aircraft from over the Rockies will make initial contact with the high altitude controller, and should they require further descent, typically into Calgary, they will be told to contact Edmonton Centre on the low altitude frequency. I believe the cutoff level is FL280 between high and low for most sectors I’ve listened to.

As for the transmitters, they are called PAL sites. Used when the distances are too great between aircraft and controller. Like I said before, they can be linked up by Centre depending on workload. The pilots will talk on the frequency closest to them that is assigned and that can also be rebroadcast on other frequencies.
For example, a pilot on a high altitude frequency that has been combined in northeast Alberta could be heard by a scanner listener in southern Alberta when the PALs are linked at night with perfect reception should the scanner listener be close enough to a PAL.

Not sure why this frequency change hasn’t been put in the Canada Flight Supplement yet, but might make its way there next publication cycle should it be a permanent change.

Hope that answers some questions.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have been aware of PALS but have never seen a diagram as to where they are located. I do have an idea as some are near Delia, Brooks, Red Deer etc.. And I did hear 133.3 day and night. 127.775 is active day and night as well.

I do not monitor Air frequencies as a rule although I do scan through them and sometimes hear some interesting things. I do monitor more closely if meeting someone at YYC. In July, I was monitoring 133.3 for a flight from the west coast and listened as the plane contacted Edmonton Centre as it was coming over the rocks. I did not really listen for altitude.

The next handoff frequency is 125.9 or 123.85 [and these are often "cross patched" in late evening]. I had to meet someone at YYC on Nov. 10 and was listening to 133.3 an hour before the plane was due and did not hear anything on this frequency. I finally heard the plane I was expecting on 125.9. By the time I had to meet at YYC on Nov. 15 I had found the 127.775 frequency. This time I did hear the plane contact Edmonton Centre on 127.775 coming over the rocks and I think they said they were at 29000 ft and Edmonton Centre cleared them for 28000 and then further as they got closer to YYC until handed off to 125.9.

I have never really paid attention to what altitude they are at. I do know a couple of years ago, and this was around 2330 hours, I did listen to 133.3 for a flight out of YYC to the west coast until it was handed off to Vancouver Centre over the rocks. I do see the ATC west of Calgary turns over to Vancouver just on the west side of the BC/AB boarder on flight over the Banff area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.