136- 174 MHz P25 Systems in Colorado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about purchasing a used Unication G5. This particular one has the VHF band. Do we have any VHF P25 systems in our area? El Paso County and City of Colorado Springs. Thanks for your input. I would be using it mainly for our Colorado DTRS simulcast.
Tim
KC5RYY

ScannerSK

If you ever travel to Wyoming they have a large system there. There are some military trunked systems in the VHF band however I do not recall if they are encrypted. One trunked system was in the 138 MHz frequencies. There was also a trunked system in the 172 MHz frequencies. There are also some P25 users with standalone (non-trunked) frequencies in the VHF band (public service, some park channels, some federal channels, etc.) Another member may have more details.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
That's really interesting. We have Cheyenne AFS (NORAD) Peterson and Schriever AFB, Air Force Academy and Fort Carson all in the 380-430 MHz range and very little is encrypted. I ended up getting a G5 with UHF B and it does very well considering the internal UHF antenna. I also got the G5 with VHF since it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Mick

The Police and Fire at the Air Force Academy are encrypted full time:

Police and Fire at Fort Carson are in the clear:

Police and Fire at Peterson AFB are encrypted full time:

Police and Fire at Schriever AFB are 50-100% encrypted:

Police and Fire at Cheyenne Mtn Air Force Station are in the clear:

That's really interesting. We have Cheyenne AFS (NORAD) Peterson and Schriever AFB, Air Force Academy and Fort Carson all in the 380-430 MHz range and very little is encrypted. I ended up getting a G5 with UHF B and it does very well considering the internal UHF antenna. I also got the G5 with VHF since it was too good of a deal to pass up.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me or? Your info has absolutely zero to do with my original thread....so beat it buster....lol

radio

Premium Subscriber
Air Force Academy Fire is dispatched and operates on El Paso Red and C zones in the clear. Occasionally they and Rocky Mt EMS, go to the Air Force 380 system Security Channels that are encrypted.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Do you have any more specific info on this?

No. Was told this by a ranger 2 years ago who had been issued an APX7000 VHF/7-800. They lost a lot of coverage away from major highways and towns when everything went 800. Select sites were getting VHF to fill gaps.

Going to 7-800 in mountainous areas was a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.