Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Sorry if this frequency has been posted elsewhere. I have looked at Jay911 frequency list for ATCO, but could not see this frequency, nor 138.950 or 138.940. Did a search of the Canada Forums and this only hit one thread from Ontario. I have heard a sporadic carrier, no voice or noise, on the freqeuncy of 138.945 for the past couple of months. It is so annoying that I have locked it out of some scanners. Because I generally listen in the evening, I cannot say if it is there during the day. Looking at the Spectrum Direct [now that it is online again], I see this frequency is listed to most of the electrical companies, generally outside of Calgary. And I have heard this carrier throughout southeast and southwest Calgary. Am I, or did I miss something here?

harryshute

Premium Subscriber
Could it be one of those frequencies for monitoring your power or gas meter from the front street? ATCO recently put one of them on my meter but I haven't checked it out yet.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The licenses in the TAFL for this frequency are 11 and 16 kHz wide, not the 13 kHz that the ATCO P25 system uses. I would harbor a guess that they are voice or telemetry.

The closest license to the south part of Calgary is the Hartell repeater - Hartell is near Black Diamond/Turner Valley/Millarville/Longview area. Most of the actual voice/telem repeater sites for the power companies in Alberta are licensed to AltaLink.

The "virtual license" for the Hartell repeater doesn't have much to say except "Licensee's Mobiles" for authorized communications on that freq. I've always treated the VHF repeaters as voice comms and the UHF link frequencies as telemetry. In my experience, the VHF voice traffic is CSQ.

None of this, of course, explains why the frequency is "locked open" on your setup. I do get what I think might be birdies/"locked open" repeaters on various similar channels though, in particular one called the "Pocaterra" repeater further into Kananaskis.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Baffled

Have still been hearing this "carrier" on this frequency occasionally over the past couple of days. Now that Christmas shopping is done, I am not driving around too much at supper time or later so not sure if it is still happening in various parts of SE and SW Calgary. Last night I tried some scanning in the range of 137 to 141 m. Did hear this "carrier", and for lack of a better word-float.ing, around 138.900 to 138.915. Absolutely no voice or data. It has no specific length of time, varies from 1 sec, to 20 or 30 secs.. Will keep listening to see if I can pin it down more.

Status
Not open for further replies.