142.550 mhz Ralieigh area..

Status
Not open for further replies.

10-95

Hearing lots of traffic on 142.550 during the day. At times one side sounds garbled like it's a really bad link from some other frequency. Almost sounded like someone in an aircraft talking to someone on the gound. There is a hang time so this is a repeater.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I heard some of this--there was an avaition guy with a ham license, strange call, can't remember it. He was flying near Jacksonville, NC and talking with another ham on a mobile on the ground--

10-95

murrayustud said:
I heard some of this--there was an avaition guy with a ham license, strange call, can't remember it. He was flying near Jacksonville, NC and talking with another ham on a mobile on the ground--

They were in violation, this is not a ham frequency, this falls in the government band, 2 meter ham starts at 144Mhz. The traffic I heard was not two hams talking, it was military.

Last edited:

10-95

I received info that that might be a USAF Military Air Radio Service repeater. There is one in Florida on the same frequency.

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I must have been asleep when I responded to this post because I thought it was 146.550 for some reason---sorry guys, hadn't had my morning coffee!
73's
CM

you might want to check to see if those garbled transmissions might be in the AM mode...and you're listening in the expected FM mode...

i had a similar incident here on 148.55 ...a freq used in FM by USMC here, that i had plugged into all my scanners for local FM monitoring....but during a massive Army training exercise for Special Ops night drop by 15 C-130's out of Pope/Ft.Bragg flying a racetrack pattern over the Carteret/Onslow coast, the Army Jumpmasters aboard the C-130's were using 148.55 AM !! to communicate inside the aircraft ( i know cause they were just above treetop level over my house in a long slow line....)
Just a good thing that no USMC ground traffic in FM on that freq QRM'd them !!

but i think MARS traffic is probably the best bet...but best to be safe and check out covert ops on discrete freqs hiding in plain sight !

Barefootdipole
Carteret County

10-95

barefootdipole said:
you might want to check to see if those garbled transmissions might be in the AM mode...and you're listening in the expected FM mode...

i had a similar incident here on 148.55 ...a freq used in FM by USMC here, that i had plugged into all my scanners for local FM monitoring....but during a massive Army training exercise for Special Ops night drop by 15 C-130's out of Pope/Ft.Bragg flying a racetrack pattern over the Carteret/Onslow coast, the Army Jumpmasters aboard the C-130's were using 148.55 AM !! to communicate inside the aircraft ( i know cause they were just above treetop level over my house in a long slow line....)
Just a good thing that no USMC ground traffic in FM on that freq QRM'd them !!

but i think MARS traffic is probably the best bet...but best to be safe and check out covert ops on discrete freqs hiding in plain sight !

Barefootdipole
Carteret County

It's an FM repeater pair, I found the input, it's CSQ so it's possible they may not know they are on a repeater input.

Status
Not open for further replies.