143.625 ODD Comms

Status
Not open for further replies.

zguy1243

This morning, sometime before 12 EST time local here I copied some strange comms from the ISS frequency of 143.625. The modulation mode was WFM. Other known ISS frequencies were active with data transmissions at the same time. Attached is a link to a recording I made of the 143.625 Frequency. You can tell at the start of the recording I was tuning in the Narrow FM mode, 5.5Khz bandwidth, after switching to wide FM mode on my Icom R8500 I was able to copy the comms. For some reason the crew was retransmitting aircraft comms. In the clip you hear a center controller and some other aircraft. One aircraft heard in the clip was Cessna 38 Uniform. it appears that aircraft was based in Colorado from a registration lookup. Also the center controller made references to Memphis center. It sounds very much like someone was tuning around the airbands and it was getting retransmitted. I was told by one that it could been a possible comm test for a upcoming EVA. Take a listen and see if you can pull anything more from the recording. I was using a Icom R8500 and a discone antenna. No chance of intermod. Poor signal quality due to the antenna not being resonant, its was 225-400Mhz mil discone being used.

Link to audio:
http://www.savefile.com/files/1655618

One aircraft in recording:
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNumSQL.asp?NNumbertxt=38U&cmndfind.x=0&cmndfind.y=0

Jody
North Georgia

Steve

Jody, I heard the same transmission here in East Central Alabama. I using my 780XLT and I changed the mode to AM but didn't think about WFM. Now I have 143.625 WFM programmed into the 780XLT and will be listening for any more transmissions.

Tommahawk

I don't believe this has anything to do with the Military Satcom, but on a daily basis I can hear what sounds like MARS activity on 143.975 mhz as stations check in. It sounds like Air Force Mars stations

mdulrich

Feed Provider

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
MARS is a military / amateur radio transmission network... A quick search will pop it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.