Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
For the last month, I have been hearing digital noise around the VE6VHF frequency of 146.91 in the southeast portion of Calgary. I know it is not Fusion. Thus could be DMR, D-Star or P25. The signal strength is strongest around 146.915 to 146.92. There is no listed repeater on any of the City of Calgary amateur radio clubs websites, nor repeaterbook.com. With this past summers interference on local FARS repeaters in Calgary, largely by construction companies, I hope that this digital noise on 146.915 is not another business operating illegally within the amateur radio bands. Thus would like to hear if anyone can shed some light on this frequency in Calgary.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I have heard it mid morning, afternoon and early evening. Not every day but no specific days. Heard it yesterday [Sunday] around 1500 hours.

dwc

Database Admin
How about posting a raw audio sample so we can better help you identify it?

DaveH

Somebody might run DSD+ on it, see if it decodes.

Audio sample could help, I've become familiar with sounds of the various modes.

Dave

NC1

Could be somebody using Packet who is not familiar with the band plan. That is the only thing that jumps to mind only because I have seen that happen back in the mid 1990's.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
How about posting a raw audio sample so we can better help you identify it?

Unfortunately, most times I hear it I am driving or using a portable that do not have any recording mechanism. I left a scanner on today, but nothing recorded.

I don't think it is packet as the signal is far too long. I know we have had APRS recently on a couple local repeaters by accident. Have not heard anything since Sunday

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been able to capture an audio sample but I am now sure this is a D-Star signal. I also heard the digital noise on 146.315. I cannot locate any reference to a repeater on this frequency and would wonder why a co-ordinator would suggest this frequency being so close to the 146.91 frequency which is a wide area repeater with no tone.

DaveH

In my limited experience with D-Star, DSD+ seems to only decode data (reams of it) but might provide a clue as to who's using it, such as callsigns.

Dave

NLHeavyMetal

If you're talking about the "free" version of DSD+ (DSD Plus) ie. 1.101 that is readily downloadable....then yes, it will only decode data. The subsequent version(s) provided to supporters via the "fastlane" program...will indeed decode the voice audio.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Over the past month, this activity on 146.915 has been active Mondays between 1900 and 2100 hours

NLHeavyMetal

Good information.....I'll try and take a listen, too. Looking at your earlier comments (back in Nov 2018). You mentioned that you were also hearing on 146.315 (in addition to 146.915). Is that still the case? Being that the two frequencies are 600kHz apart would seem to indicate a repeater system......vs. simplex operation. That being said....what's to say that a repeater pair of 146.91/146.31 hasn't been issued for Calgary? The next closest (advertized) repeater is Rocky Mountain House which is likely to be sufficiently far away to prevent interference (especially if we're talking digital vs. analog). What is the situation with repeaterbook.com? Is there a rule by the Alberta frequency coordinators that ALL repeaters must be advertized on there? I don't think so. Of course there is the legal requirement to identify the station on-the-air.....but it doesn't need to be CW...... I think I read somewhere that the appropriate callsign transmitted in digital (ie. DSTAR) is sufficient for this purpose. Therefore, getting a proper decode on the digital side of things might provide some answers.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Good information.....I'll try and take a listen, too. Looking at your earlier comments (back in Nov 2018). You mentioned that you were also hearing on 146.315 (in addition to 146.915). Is that still the case? Being that the two frequencies are 600kHz apart would seem to indicate a repeater system......vs. simplex operation. That being said....what's to say that a repeater pair of 146.91/146.31 hasn't been issued for Calgary? The next closest (advertized) repeater is Rocky Mountain House which is likely to be sufficiently far away to prevent interference (especially if we're talking digital vs. analog). What is the situation with repeaterbook.com? Is there a rule by the Alberta frequency coordinators that ALL repeaters must be advertized on there? I don't think so. Of course there is the legal requirement to identify the station on-the-air.....but it doesn't need to be CW...... I think I read somewhere that the appropriate callsign transmitted in digital (ie. DSTAR) is sufficient for this purpose. Therefore, getting a proper decode on the digital side of things might provide some answers.

146.9150/3150 is not a valid repeater pair in Alberta. I doubt it is a legitimately coordinated repeater.

With even a moderate band opening the Rocky Mountain house repeater(analogue) would easily be heard in the Calgary. That particular repeater has a pretty big footprint even with out band enhancement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
In reply to NLHeavyMetal it appears that 146.315 is the repeater input as I receive about an S3-4 level, while the 146.915 is full scale. And 146.915 is full scale over much of SE Calgary. Over the holidays I did not listen much during the day. However I have been hearing it more recently [since early 2018 on the Monday evening so thought I would now post that.
For kayn1n32008, with the VE6VHF repeater not having tones, that is one reason I am trying to find why someone would chose a frequency so close to 146.915. As you state this repeater can be heard in parts of Calgary.
Edit: have to say that I can hear the digital noise on 146.91 and 146.92 but it is lower than 146.915.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
For kayn1n32008, with the VE6VHF repeater not having tones, that is one reason I am trying to find why someone would chose a frequency so close to 146.915. As you state this repeater can be heard in parts of Calgary.
Edit: have to say that I can hear the digital noise on 146.91 and 146.92 but it is lower than 146.915.

I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for people/groups that refuse to utilize PL. Even moderate band openings can cause openings over hundreds of kilometres in Alberta. Using access control should almost be required as a condition of coordination.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
...have to say that I can hear the digital noise on 146.91 and 146.92 but it is lower than 146.915.

Robertmac, I got in touch with Alberta’s frequency coordinators this morning, neither of them have anything coordinated in the Calgary area on 146.910/146.310, 145.915/146.315 or 146.920/146.320MHz. It is definitely an un-coordinated repeater.

Have you tried keying it up with an analogue radio? I would try transmitting a 110.9Hz PL tone, it seems to be the most common tone used in Calgary.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
No I haven't tried as of yet. Will keep this in mind the next time I hear it. I am also beginning to wonder if this isn't related to the Wild Rose group although I don't see anything posted on their web site. I haven't heard CARA nor FARS discussing another D-Star repeater, and certainly CARA already has one.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I doubt it is Wildrose guys. My guess is that it’s a private individual rather than a club/group.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, since posting these I have not heard anything on Monday evenings. I have not been in position to monitor during the day.

mciupa

Canadian Database Admin
:eek: Maybe they are a RadioReference member who is a pirate!:ROFLMAO:

Status
Not open for further replies.