148.125 CAP?? Key ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
at 12:30 pm today there was series of key-ups on this frequency.
No modulation, just key ups.

The signal was full quieting, with a squelch tail which causes me to think that this is a repeater near Lexington NC.

The frequency makes me think that this is CAP.

The only NC CAP RPTR that I know of is in Asheville.
Is there a CAP RPTR in the Western Piedmont area? (GSO, HP,Davidson, Randolph Counties area)

Dan
AI8O

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
There are CAP repeaters all over the place. Check the Wiki under Federal Monitoring > Civil Air Patrol.

There is a repeater in Concord, I don't recall the pair it uses, but that is probably what you heard.

ecps92

Each CAP Rptr has it's own PL/NAC code, that should help you out in the identification of which Repeater you are hearing.

148.1250 is the CAP Main Rptr Freq with
148.1500 being the Alternate.

3 have been Identified in KY
Civil Air Patrol - The RadioReference Wiki However there are likely many others waiting to be found

PS all of this is FOUO so mums the word :cool:

at 12:30 pm today there was series of key-ups on this frequency.
No modulation, just key ups.

The signal was full quieting, with a squelch tail which causes me to think that this is a repeater near Lexington NC.

The frequency makes me think that this is CAP.

The only NC CAP RPTR that I know of is in Asheville.
Is there a CAP RPTR in the Western Piedmont area? (GSO, HP,Davidson, Randolph Counties area)

Dan
AI8O

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
No; I didn't get a PL.
Just a series of Ker-chunks, no modulation.
The time, 12:30 exactly on a weekday, made me think that this was some sort of system readiness test to see if the RPTR was working.

Last edited:

trumpetman

Database Admin
If I remember correctly, the nets are held on Tuesdays around 1900. Keep it in your scanlist over the next day or two and see if you hear anything new.

I've updated the database with all the Civil Air Patrol repeaters in NC. We're only missing two PLs/NACs now, Spencer Mtn. in Gastonia and Mt. Mitchell.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=6220

Last edited:

ecps92

Odd, altho YMMV, as the Repeaters typically will still send the PL/NAC

No; I didn't get a PL.
Just a series of Ker-chunks, no modulation.
The time, 12:30 exactly on a weekday, made me think that this was some sort of system readiness test to see if the RPTR was working.

trumpetman

Database Admin
Only a commercial radio is going to be able to pickup a PL that quickly. Scanners will take at least 1 or 2 seconds before it registers and displays it, not nearly long enough to catch if the repeater is just clicked a few times.

ecps92

YMMV but I've never had a problem, especially if the Repeater has a reasonable tail. :)

Only a commercial radio is going to be able to pickup a PL that quickly. Scanners will take at least 1 or 2 seconds before it registers and displays it, not nearly long enough to catch if the repeater is just clicked a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.