• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

148 NW ST Tech Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pede69

Hi All...

Can someone please give me the supply voltage for the NW faceplate?

My NW light panel is out and I can not find a schematic for the radio.

Also, any known NW issues with this model?

Thanks,
John

PS... Meter lamp is out as well and bulb looks good. Wires go to a control module for face plate AND meter bulb. Any suggestions here? Channel display OK.

pede69

Hi...

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

However... your resolve is fruitless...

The radio in that pic IS NO MOD!! (As far as the faceplate is concerned)
It IS AN NW series radio. That is exactly the way it came from the factory.

Same faceplate I have except a 29 instead of a 148.

Kudo's for your time though.

Any other responses?

Thanks,
John

Last edited:

reedeb

I'm sorry no one out here can give you the answer. Go to or call a dealer or someone who works on them for a living as apparently no one out here can answer the question. OR call Cobra themselves, THEY would more then likely have the answer to which you seek.

EC-7

If I remember right, it uses a 60 or 90 volt, AC stup-up transformer for the EL faceplate.
Ive havent seen a transformer go bad, but the EL wire is too short and comes out of the push-in socket. Its pretty fragile in that spot too. Check the connection.

Ive had a few bad EL faceplates before, but I didnt find a source for them at the time to be able to replace them.

I just found some info. CBtricks.com is a great site.
http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/cobra/148nw_st/index.htm

Last edited:

pede69

Thank you EC-7...

Actually I have tested the feed voltage to the EL connector and it is OK. However when the ribbon cable from the EL is slid into the connector, there is NO resistance at all. Like there is NO contacts inside the connector.

I will check out that issue next.

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply,
John

EC-7

I dont think you will get any resistance on the EL wire at all.
From my knowledge of EL wire/strips, its just 2 conductive metals, separated by plastic and the high voltage "excites" electrons in the middle and makes it glow. There is no electrical connection between the 2 wires.

Its kinda like a microwave, nothing touching your food, but the energy bouncing around inside makes it warm.

XTS3000

EC-7 is correct, 60 to 90 volts - depending on the dimmer setting via the front dimmer.

First, replace the meter lamp to make sure the meter dimmer circuit is working. The meter lamp dimmer module is also part of the high voltage EL driver. So make sure at least that part is working properly.

If your getting 90V AC at the EL ribbon socket, then it's time to check the EL face panel to see if it still works. VERY VERY CAREFULLY from the wall outlet, apply 120V AV to the two termimals on the EL input ribon cable for a few seconds. If good it will illumiate, if not, its bad. The EL faceplate will be at 1/2 or less the output after 4000 hours. EL panels used in these Corbra's are only good for 3000-4000 burn life.

There should be slight resistance when you insert the EL ribbon cable into the socket. There needs to be a physical connection with the EL ribbon cable and EL driver socket. The ribbon cable contains conductive ink to make the connection. If it's damaged or scraped off, then it can not make a good solid connection. Try cutting off 1/8 inch of the EL ribbon cable, then move the EL socket 1/8 inch closer to the front of the radio.

If your looking for an illumiated faceplate CB that will last forever, then a Uniden PC-78 Elite is the only way to go. It uses LEDS to light up the front face. LEDS can burn for 100,000 hours or longer. Uniden chose bright LEDS for the faceplate, and used high value resistor to really dim them down. So these LEDS are running at a much lower current than rated, so I'd expect them to last 100,000 + hrs.

pede69

That's awesome information guys. Just what I needed.

Thank you very much.

John

520SIMPLEXAZ

voltage

Hello it is about 60 to 90 volts ac because it is a flourecent light and cant be repaired they burn out all the time a very common problem with all the nightwatch radios and cobra only make the replacements for the latest radio`s so you are pretty much sol. Dont look any further for a fix. I built over 400 148`s of all vintages and models.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.