15,016khz busy today ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

k9rzz

Lots of 32 letter messages passed back and forth by several weak stations, then booming in:

"This is Andrews ... all stations stand by".

Pretty active the past hour.

k9rzz

Now I'm hearing Andrews with an echo ... long path? Probably beaming in some direction with POWER !

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Power has nothing to do with it. It has to do with a very slight delay as each station in the HF GCS network receives, then immediately retransmits the audio. 73 Mike

k9rzz

ka3jjz said:
Power has nothing to do with it. It has to do with a very slight delay as each station in the HF GCS network receives, then immediately retransmits the audio. 73 Mike

You've confused me.

The signal from Andrews had the echo, there was no others transmitting at the time. (Andrews is S9+20, others S1).

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I'd bet this went out system wide on all HF GCS stations and frequencies. Whenever I have heard the echo, I had always assumed this was likely the cause. Remember, you can bet Andrews is both listening and transmitting when they send out messages like this.....even if the other stations are real weak, the delay between them hearing it, and retransmitting it, has, at least in the past, been suggested as the cause of the echo 73 Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.