150.700 in Triad area

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyK

I was searching around this morning during the band opening & came across a repeater of some sort that was rebroadcasting US Coast Guard 5.696 & 8.983 usb Transmissions on 150.700 with a 114.8 hz tone.I also heard traffic that sounded like marine channel 16 "Hampton Roads" calling some vessel.I thought it was due to the band enhancement, but I'm still getting the repeater this afternoon.Anybody have any ideas on this one?
Randy

jlh

randy, iirc, i'm about 10 miles to your west. i'm not receiving it, you still got it?

randyK

I had it occasionally this afternoon, but most of the time the signals were barely opening the squelch of the repeater, just a lot of noise.I had the repeater S1 on a 5 level S-meter.Earlier in the morning Camslant was working Coast Guard rescue 2113 & 1704 on 8983.It relayed the aircraft too.That was pretty interesting.Maybe the signals will be back stronger tonight or in the morning.
Randy

jlh

randy, i;ve got the signal this morning, they just mentioned va beach

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
150.700 is being used as a repeater output frequency for USCG Aux repeaters in numerous locations in the U.S. The PL tones associated with the repeaters appear to be at the discretion of the local chapter.

I am listening to the repeater this morning (my location is just south of Charlotte and the N.C. stateline). The signal strength here is audible, but close to threshold. The VHF receiver attached to the repeater is scanning multiple marine channels, including 16 and 21 ... and hearing multiple USCG stations in Georgia, the Carolinas and Virginia.

So far, I have not heard any HF traffic on the repeater. My thought would be, though, that if the repeater is set up to repeat both VHF and HF channels, it's being used by a Aux chapter along the coast ... the chapters covering inland Carolinas lakes would not have a need to monitor HF.

But I don't think the repeater is located along the coast ! Unlike yesterday, when I had a VERY strong VHF enhancement to my north, VHF is relatively quiet today. Several of my scanners are logging to displays, and I have seen little sign of VHF enhancement in any direction throughout the morning. It makes me presume the repeater is within my normal reception range.

So where is the repeater ?

My first guess is that the output frequency on the USCG Aux repeater on Lake Hickory (Catawba Co, N.C.) was changed. The previous ouput on 149.050 has been quiet here for awhile.

A second guess would be that the repeater is covering a lake in the central Piedmont area - Montgomery, Stanly or Rowan County.

Jeff Multer

pboy

jeffmulter said:
So where is the repeater ?
My first guess is that the output frequency on the USCG Aux repeater on Lake Hickory (Catawba Co, N.C.) was changed. The previous ouput on 149.050 has been quiet here for awhile.
Jeff Multer

Gave a listen up here Hickory way.

Very strong on base. Only moderately strong on rubber duckie handheld which leads to me to believe not Lake Hickory. I'm only 2 miles from the river.

Another possible location might be Lake Norman.

Off Hwy 150 near the Catawba/Iredell County line is an auxiliary flotilla base. Near the Catawba Queen landing if anyone is familiar with that.

jlh

thanks jeff

i'm about 12 miles sw of greensboro, registering an S1 or S2 on my yupi with a diamond rh77. no external antennas available anymore.

jeffmulter

I knew I could count on you, PBoy, to be watching this thread.

Lake Norman could be a possibility ... if the Auxilliary has changed the configuration of the system tying Lake James, Hickory and Norman, radiowise. The original repeater setup was for the receivers and link radios at Lake James and Norman, feeding the repeater just north of Lake Hickory.

Have you heard the 149.050 repeater in use recently ?

I wanted to attach a copy of the original Monitoring Times articles, written by Dan Renfro, to this post. Unfortunately, even zipped, the file size is too large for RR. I tried to find a phone number for Dan this morning, but he has moved from Hickory to Yadkinville, and I couldn't find anything online.

( If someone wants a zipped file of the two-page article, feel free to e-mail me at my AOL address ... jamulter@aol.com )

I've been listening to the 150.700 repeater at times this afternoon and evening, and most of what I'm now hearing are occasional squelch breaks. Hampton Roads was audible awhile ago. I heard a control station for the repeater about 7 p.m. ... identified as "Yadkin Radio," and called for "Piedmont 1" on two occasions.

Given your location and reception, JLH, I wonder whether this repeater might be covering High Rock Lake. That location would be within range of both PBoy and myself.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Jeff,
If you want email it to me at ke4znr@radioreference.com and I will host it for you :)
Of course you also knew that I would also be watching this thread...as I do every NC thread :D Couldn't resist!
Marshall KE4ZNR

jlh

jeffmulter said:
...Given your location and reception, JLH, I wonder whether this repeater might be covering High Rock Lake. That location would be within range of both PBoy and myself.

maybe so jeff, there is a flotilla based in burlington, thought it may be there.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
many of the uscg aux freqs are changeing. that may be why you are not hearing anything on the old freq. as with other fed agencies, all are going to "narrow band" and some will be P-25. the 150 freq and the 149 freq you listed are aux freqs......... at least right now.
and before you ask, no i dont know what the new ones will be. i have not seen a list yet.

Rohn
FSO-Communications
20-01

randyK

Thanks Guys, I put in 149.050 a while back & I have never heard anything on it.It could very well be on High Rock Lake.I also heard "Piedmont 1" calling "Yadkin Radio" a few times with no answer.The HF signals are also being rebroadcast on 157.125 mhz, Marine ch 82, but I haven't heard any Vhf channel relayed on that one.It seems to be about the same signal strength as 150.700.I guess I need to start searching more than I usually do, Thanks again,
Randy

Ten42

150.700 In triad

Monday night, around midnight, I programmed this freq in my BC780 and I heard "CG Group NC" issuing a notice of a sunken fishing boat near Jarrett Bay Boatworks which is in Carteret County. I also heard some HF comms relayed as well. It was about an S-5 here at home between Danville and Martinsville, Virginia. So far today I havent heard any traffic, I never heard anything from the Lake Hickory repeater which I tried after the MT article Jeff was talking about so I can't really compare the two from here. I hope it stays on the air and is readable daily, I enjoy monitoring the USCG when at Atlantic Beach, now I can hear them in Danville. Speaking of which there once was a live scanner via ncwaterman. com broadcasting VHF channels from the Morehead City area, that one went off the air a few years ago, if anyone knows of another live marine VHF scanner let me know.

David Hartman,
davidhartmn@yahoo.com
Brosville, Va (pronounced brazville)

jeffmulter

I had mentioned previously that I hadn't heard any HF comms from the repeater ... but that changed yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, last night and this morning was continuous traffic on 8983. I was jealous of the reception via the repeater, as compared to listening to 8983 at home ! Never realized how many flights were going back-and-forth between the detention facility in G-Bay / Cuba (please don't ask me to spell it) and the U.S.

Tonight, the repeater's quiet here.

Jeff

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
repeater was active this morning

listened to the the 150.700 machine all the way to raleigh hamfest this morning. was s6 to s9 mobile from warsaw area to raleigh. did hear "sector hamton roads" said this moring . tone is the 114 hz .

Status
Not open for further replies.