150.790 mcs...Helocopter freq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka5lqj

Hi,

While coming back from the ARCoS (Amateur Radio Club of Shreveport) Cookout & Swapmeet, this afternoon, I had my RS Pro-2051 on scan. I've got just the Fire/EMS frequencies in there so far. Several times, the radio stopped on 150.7900 mcs and it seemed as if someone was giving out wind speed and directions for some sort of "landing". I've checked my "notes" and the F.C.C. databasse for anyone using this frequency for that purpose. The last transmission I heard, the guy mentioned "the aircraft is on the pad at LSU". ??????

Now, I know that LSU Medical is the Trauma Center for this part of the State. They have a Helio pad and use it 24/7/365. I know, 'cause they "buzz" the house, LOL! However, "LifeAir" does not show up on this frequency and the Ambulance companies have road vehicles. Anyone heard this before. I'm over seeing Doctors at LSU nearly every week for something or another, they're checking. I guess my best bet is to ask LSU Security (State Police) about it. They use the Caddo 911 Communications District's 800 trunked set-up. I don't remember the "talk group", it just shows up on my Pro-95 as "LSU-Police", LOL!

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ

jerk

ka5lqj said:
Hi,

While coming back from the ARCoS (Amateur Radio Club of Shreveport) Cookout & Swapmeet, this afternoon, I had my RS Pro-2051 on scan. I've got just the Fire/EMS frequencies in there so far. Several times, the radio stopped on 150.7900 mcs and it seemed as if someone was giving out wind speed and directions for some sort of "landing". I've checked my "notes" and the F.C.C. databasse for anyone using this frequency for that purpose. The last transmission I heard, the guy mentioned "the aircraft is on the pad at LSU". ??????

Now, I know that LSU Medical is the Trauma Center for this part of the State. They have a Helio pad and use it 24/7/365. I know, 'cause they "buzz" the house, LOL! However, "LifeAir" does not show up on this frequency and the Ambulance companies have road vehicles. Anyone heard this before. I'm over seeing Doctors at LSU nearly every week for something or another, they're checking. I guess my best bet is to ask LSU Security (State Police) about it. They use the Caddo 911 Communications District's 800 trunked set-up. I don't remember the "talk group", it just shows up on my Pro-95 as "LSU-Police", LOL!

Respectfully,

Don/KA5-LQJ
A lot of balloon operators use the 150.xxx area frequencies for their operations. (Reason is they use illegally modified ham radios) The wind speed readings would be a match. I've never heard helicopters worry about this when landing.
I don't remember but this frequency you heard may be used for low power medical. There are several available for license in that area also.

ka5lqj

"Thanks"

Well,

We DO have some "baloonist" in the area. I'm not sure what frequencies they use for
air-to-ground or chase frequencies. Yes, there are some area agencies, besides some of the commercial ambulance companies that use that frequency.

"Thanks", I appreciate the update about the ballonist. You learn something new everyday, or your brains turn to goo, LOL! I just wonder how I could get a vertical VLF antenna on my F-150 to hear them, LOL!

Scan-wise I can hear everything from 25 mhz to 1.3 gig. I have an Icom 706 Mark II-G that can hear well from 400 khz up to 449 mhz.

Respectfully,
73 (Best Regard),

Don/KA5-LQJ

Status
Not open for further replies.