150.905 - AAA - Unlicensed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fog

Premium Subscriber
I came across 150.905 today, with units calling into "AAA" as the dispatcher. (I'm in Merrimack.)

I went to look it up in the FCC database, but it seems they're not licensed in NH... The only entry I can find in NH on that frequency is a company in North Haverhill, which is most definitely not what I'm hearing.

AAA does have three stations licensed in Maine, but they're 150-200 miles away, and this signal was booming into my HT with a no-gain rubber ducky. The repeater ID's as KNAE733, which has the three repeaters in Maine associated with it. However, based on the signal strength, and the fact that I'm hearing them discussing Londonderry right now, I'm pretty confident this repeater is in NH.

They're licensed for operation in a 97 km radius from Dixmont, ME, but they're about 350 km from here.

Anyone know what gives? From what I've seen, it sounds to me as if they set up a NH repeater and have it reusing their callsign for their Maine sites.

ecps92

MA - Boston, Somerville, Medford KON843 expires in 2015

NH - Bedford, Manchester KLU366 expires 2014

ME - Dixmont KNAE733 expires 2012
ME - Portland WNLQ408 expires 2014

I think you might of selected NH some other parameter.

I came across 150.905 today, with units calling into "AAA" as the dispatcher. (I'm in Merrimack.)

I went to look it up in the FCC database, but it seems they're not licensed in NH... The only entry I can find in NH on that frequency is a company in North Haverhill, which is most definitely not what I'm hearing.

AAA does have three stations licensed in Maine, but they're 150-200 miles away, and this signal was booming into my HT with a no-gain rubber ducky. The repeater ID's as KNAE733, which has the three repeaters in Maine associated with it. However, based on the signal strength, and the fact that I'm hearing them discussing Londonderry right now, I'm pretty confident this repeater is in NH.

They're licensed for operation in a 97 km radius from Dixmont, ME, but they're about 350 km from here.

Anyone know what gives? From what I've seen, it sounds to me as if they set up a NH repeater and have it reusing their callsign for their Maine sites.

fog

Premium Subscriber
Yup, I forgot that the database matches the licensee's location, not the transmitter location. Even the NH repeaters are licensed out of Maine, hence why I didn't find anything in New Hampshire. (That's really annoying, given that they have the transmitter location on file.)

That said, I just recorded the CW ID I'm hearing, and it most definitely says KNAE733. So I don't feel so foolish for my initial observations. ;) It's certainly the Bedford/Manchester site I'm hearing, so it looks like it's using the wrong callsign.

ecps92

??? The Transmitters are licensed in NH

The Call Sign you are hearing is licensed in ME.

Someone put the Wrong Repeater Controller at the Wrong Location. Opps

Yup, I forgot that the database matches the licensee's location, not the transmitter location. Even the NH repeaters are licensed out of Maine, hence why I didn't find anything in New Hampshire. (That's really annoying, given that they have the transmitter location on file.)

That said, I just recorded the CW ID I'm hearing, and it most definitely says KNAE733. So I don't feel so foolish for my initial observations. ;) It's certainly the Bedford/Manchester site I'm hearing, so it looks like it's using the wrong callsign.

fog

Premium Subscriber
??? The Transmitters are licensed in NH

Sorry, I was kind of vague in my last post. I meant that if you use the FCC search page (on wireless.fcc.gov) and put in "150.905" and "New Hampshire," you don't get AAA's results, because the search page doesn't look at transmitter locations, but rather at where the licensee is. The repeaters are licensed to be used in NH, but the license holder is in Maine, so it's listed under Maine. Hence my initial confusion about whether they were even licensed.

Someone put the Wrong Repeater Controller at the Wrong Location. Opps

Yup. :)

Last edited:

ecps92

I ran the 150.9050 and NH at the FCC and that's how I obtained the Info

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/General_Menu_Reports/engineering_search.cfm?accessible=NO
also you can run the FCC via RR at http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/
scroll down to the bottom "FCC License Data" , plug in 150.9050 and New Hampshire
and you get http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stcd=NH&freq=150.9050&action=sf

Licensee Frequency Callsign City County Svc
BOUDREAULT, JOHN 150.90500000 WPPH496 NORTH HAVERHILL GRAFTON IG
AAA NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND 150.90500000 KLU366 BEDFORD HILLSBOROUGH IG
AAA NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND 150.90500000 KLU366 MANCHESTER HILLSBOROUGH IG
AAA NORTHERN NEW ENGLAND 150.90500000 WNLQ408 FARMINGHAM STRAFFORD IG

I think your adding a different parameter, maybe Mailing Address vs Transmitter Location??

Sorry, I was kind of vague in my last post. I meant that if you use the FCC search page (on wireless.fcc.gov) and put in "150.905" and "New Hampshire," you don't get AAA's results, because the search page doesn't look at transmitter locations, but rather at where the licensee is. The repeaters are licensed to be used in NH, but the license holder is in Maine, so it's listed under Maine. Hence my initial confusion about whether they were even licensed.

Yup. :)

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
Not to hijack the thread or anything -

I hear just a Morse Code ID on 150.92 - never any voice or data. Possibly ends with dah dah dit dit or dit dit dah dah. IIRC I checked for Mass licenses but found nothing.

I am near Boston MA. This might be a NH or ME station that I only hear on enhanced days.

Anyone else hear it?

Peter Sz

ecps92

Enhanced Daze?

Licenses in the FCC for Massachusetts are
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=KEV992 AAA
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WPMF272 CG Blacktop

Not to hijack the thread or anything -

I hear just a Morse Code ID on 150.92 - never any voice or data. Possibly ends with dah dah dit dit or dit dit dah dah. IIRC I checked for Mass licenses but found nothing.

I am near Boston MA. This might be a NH or ME station that I only hear on enhanced days.

Anyone else hear it?

Peter Sz

Status
Not open for further replies.