151.3100 / ncfs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFD4305

I often hear standard fire response dispatches and responses on 151.3100, which the database lists as NCFS Region 1, TAC B. I'm pretty new to North Carolina, but I've never lived anywhere where the state forestry service routinely took in or was first due on structure fires. Apparently these runs are dispatched by 'OCD.' Can anyone tell me if a non-NCFS department [or several] uses this frequency? What is OCD?
Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
That's Transylvania County fire dispatch. However not the case here, but a jurisdiction can contract with NCFS to provide primary fire protection but I am not aware of it being done anywhere. ( OCD=Organized Central Dispatch)

Last edited:

nate1992

Thats the state wide tac channels im not even sure the NCFS use them and NCFS has nothing to do with structural fire fighting any where in North Carolina other then structure protection on Wild Land fires

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
That's Transylvania County fire dispatch. However not the case here, but a jurisdiction can contract with NCFS to provide primary fire protection but I am not aware of it being done anywhere. ( OCD=Organized Central Dispatch)

Yep. This is one of those times when using the database search feature
here at RR.com can help you ID frequencies that are used in more than one
location (as this one is). :)

Marshall KE4ZNR

SCPD

QRT
Off topic but in response to nate's post, locally I have heard the NCFS guys respond to about everything the VFDs respond to if they happen to be close, structure fires, vehicle fires, MVAs, trees down(I think that was added to their to-do-list after the Blizzard of '93),etc. In fact, depending on the county, up to 40% of the county NCFS office's budget comes from the county.

MFD4305

Thanks!

Thanks, Jimmy, for nailing it down. My first thought was a non-forestry agency co-using that frequency, but I haven't bought the premium subscription so I couldn't take Marshall's approach to looking for it. I searched Buncombe County [nothing, of course] but couldn't decide where to search next. I admit I wouldn't have expected such a strong signal from Transylvania County, but that makes sense now.

I loaded a bunch of NCFS frequencies from the database when I moved to Asheville in September [shout out to brother Nate] and that's where the 'Reg 1 TAC B' tag came from. Too bad the state-wide TAC channels don't have tone-code squelch assigned. That would eliminate Transylvania for me [but then who would I listen to on 151.3100?].

I knew I'd get the correct answer here! Thanks again.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Too bad the state-wide TAC channels don't have tone-code squelch assigned. That would eliminate Transylvania for me [but then who would I listen to on 151.3100?].

I believe you're using a 996T. If so, you can program the channel, and designate a tone for it to AVOID on that frequency. The option is called tone lockout ... by entering the tone of 192.8 hz, the squelch will only open for comms that do not have that sub-audible tone,

MFD4305

Roger That

Hi Jeff,
I'd thought of the tone lock-out approach, but there's no tone for Dispatch in the database. Are you pretty confident that it's the same [192.8] that's shown for the following listings?
Thanks!

CCHLLM

Transylvania County uses PL 192.8 on 151.310, and the NCFS uses PL 88.5 on 151.310 in District 5. NCFS is narrowband, BTW, but I'm not sure if Transylvania has gone to the narrow side yet as I haven't been through there in over 30 days.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Transylvania County uses PL 192.8 on 151.310, and the NCFS uses PL 88.5 on 151.310 in District 5. NCFS is narrowband, BTW, but I'm not sure if Transylvania has gone to the narrow side yet as I haven't been through there in over 30 days.

Thanks and I have updated the Database for TVania County.
BTW: Next time you find yourself in Raleigh/Durham you better reach out
to me so we can do lunch and catch up. Lots has happened around here
in the last few months :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

MFD4305

Done!

A final thanks to all. I switched the 996T to 'analog only' for 151.3100 which enabled the tone search/lockout features - a change which I'd forgotten was necessary. 'Search' confirmed that the tone is 192.8 and 'lockout' has [apparently] eliminated T'Vania Fire. So I'll see if something else pops up now.

Status
Not open for further replies.