153.830 hearing aircraft in central IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
In my feed scanner I have 153.830 I know it is MABAS Red Fireground, but my question is I hear aircraft all the time on it I think I have heard United something, The scanner does AM aircraft also.
You can listen to my feed and hear it sounds a little muffled but heard quite clear.

My question is, has anyone heard this also and what freq are they actually using.

I am located in Central IL, in Ladd.

aaknitt

Feed Provider
Not sure if you're having the same issue, but I have a PRO-2044 that is absolutely horrible about letting aircraft band comms splatter all over other bands. If your scanner is like mine, the actual transmission is probably nowhere near 153.830, but is actually in the AM aircraft band. The muffled sound you describe sounds very similar to what I experience.

Andy

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
In my feed scanner I have 153.830 I know it is MABAS Red Fireground, but my question is I hear aircraft all the time on it I think I have heard United something, The scanner does AM aircraft also.
You can listen to my feed and hear it sounds a little muffled but heard quite clear.

My question is, has anyone heard this also and what freq are they actually using.

I am located in Central IL, in Ladd.

I live in bloomington and monitor all the MABAS channels as well and have never heard a/c on mabas red. Could it be that you heard an image from the aircraft band,or maybe intermod from a chopper from OSF? Medflight flies over ladd on occasion and they dispatch on 159.5100mhz.FM /88.5pl.
n9zas

SCPD

QRT
Probably a problem with scanner the bleeds through on my scanner of that certain aircraft am freq. maybe cheaply manufactured scanner by uniden for RS.

N9JIG

Sheriff
This is pretty common, especially with older scanners. It is an image from the aircraft band. Try to see if you hear the same aircraft traffic on 132.425 or 132.225. If so then it is an image from there.

Some scanners pick up images on a frequency 21.4 or 21.6 MHz. above the actual freqs, the formula is Freq + (2xIF), the IF is usually either 10.7 or 10.8 MHz. Double the IF (resulting is 21.4 or 21.8) and subtract that from where you are hearing the image and you should get the actual freq. Don't worry if it is off by a little bit.

usswood

I would get this all the time on 155.610 which was an old police Freq on certain old scanners...seemed only to happen to if the aircraft was directly overhead as I am in a departure corridor for Indianapolis Westbound traffic. Central Ill, you probably are also for West and East bound not to mention Northbound going into O'hare, next time go outside and look up and see if you can see that guy

SCPD

QRT
Quote:
N9JIG said:
This is pretty common, especially with older scanners. It is an image from the aircraft band. Try to see if you hear the same aircraft traffic on 132.425 or 132.225. If so then it is an image from there.

Some scanners pick up images on a frequency 21.4 or 21.6 MHz. above the actual freqs, the formula is Freq + (2xIF), the IF is usually either 10.7 or 10.8 MHz. Double the IF (resulting is 21.4 or 21.8) and subtract that from where you are hearing the image and you should get the actual freq. Don't worry if it is off by a little bit.

Thanks for that info Rich might have to do some playing around with my scanner when I am bored.

Quote:
usswood said:
I would get this all the time on 155.610 which was an old police Freq on certain old scanners...seemed only to happen to if the aircraft was directly overhead as I am in a departure corridor for Indianapolis Westbound traffic. Central Ill, you probably are also for West and East bound not to mention Northbound going into O'hare, next time go outside and look up and see if you can see that guy

Yes next time I am listening and hear it will go out and see if any planes are around, and will try to find the actual freq. they are using.

Status
Not open for further replies.